The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

does Malbec remind you of Shiraz?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

does Malbec remind you of Shiraz?

by Alejandro Audisio » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:54 pm

Or vice-versa? Im asking this because lately, a lot of visitors from abroad that come into out shop find themselves comparing these two varietals. As the audience on this board is mostly non-Argentine, Im wondering what your experiences, impressions and thoughts on this are.

Thanks.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: does Malbec remind you of Shiraz?

by Thomas » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:21 pm

They don't remind me of each other.

To me, malbec is meaty, dense, and when tannic, it is to the top!

A shiraz that is not made into tasting like a blueberry drink (and many are) is raisin-like, slightly peppery, and can be tannic but somehow doesn't feel as puckering as malbec.

Of course, I could be all wrong...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:48 pm

I don't think of Malbec and Syrah/Shiraz as especially close, but I think a lot of non-geeky consumers think of "Shiraz" as a stylistic idea of very ripe, oak-accented, fruit forward big reds, and some of the most popular Malbecs (in US) can be made in that rather "international" style (Norton Reserve, for instance).
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:50 pm

I've never thought of them as similar. Maybe some people might make a comparison because the most common expressions of both Malbec and Shiraz are very fruit-forward. But I find them quite different.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:58 pm

I don't have a whole lot of experience w/ Malbecs, but the five or six I've tasted could never be compared to anything else...the aroma and taste are completely unique in my opinion (wish I could be more specific, but I've never quite been able to describe what that unique characteristic reminds me of).
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:54 pm

Some forumites know I am a big Malbec fan, just look at the recent Open Mike!! Never thought any ressemblance to shiraz though. Now I wonder who will be the first to try a blend>>>>>LOL.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:07 pm

I have to add my voice to the chorus of "no"s. I've always mentally binned malbec with the Bordeaux grape varieties rather than with syrah.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:07 pm

I find Malbecs, even given my limited exposure, to be a little more "rustic" in character-and this is not a negative point to me. Definitely a "red fruit" character????

Aussie Shiraz are more fruity, smoother?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:34 am

Malbec by way of Cahors certainly seems to have higher acid and tannin than Shiraz from Australia.

But maybe you meant something different geographically?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:17 am

I don't see them in the same light. I go for malbec in the Cahors/Languedoc tradition. Always I will favor that rustic, brawny, and earthy character over the jamminess of Australia. Just my $0.02.

rwj
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:22 pm

Thanks for sharing your impressions.... I basically agree with the concept that Malbec is very different to Shiraz, I guess many folks new to Malbec tend to look at the similarities with some of the rushed and very young Malbecs (and Shirazes) that are rushed to market with a distinct jammy end to them.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:31 pm

Alejandro,

The world of wine is definitely beginning to taste too much the same. Blame the US and Australia for that...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:38 pm

Well.... there are winemakers on every continent to blame for this. Its the classic case of a business persons asking for a "drinkable" wine that produces many good drinks but that somehow lack a soul.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:19 pm

I can see where people are coming from, but I think Malbec is quite a difficult variety to nail down a taste profile, and the French ones don't seem to me to be that close to the Argentina ones. There are some rough edged rustic ones, but there are alos some finely polished examples.

My partner loves Syrah/Shiraz but has decided her dislike of Malbec is such that we can't have it anymore , so for her they are not alike.

However I tasted a wonderful one which I have on order and thus I will have to serve blind - 2004 Bodega Colome Malbec Estate - Argentina, Salta :D
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:13 pm

Peter,

Don't take your partner to visit Cahors. Can't get away from Malbec there!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:21 pm

I guess I can see where some low-end Argentinian Malbec might be viewed as similar to low end Australian Shiraz, particularly in terms of structure, but it seems to me there is as much or more structural variation between Cahors Malbec and Agentinian Malbec as there is between Rhone Syrah and Australian Shiraz. I'm sure that in the broad range from highly structured traditional to soft saggy wine of each variety, wines can be found that are comparable, at least in structure. To me, they don't taste the same at all, but that's a purely personal thing.
-OW
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:47 pm

Alejandro Audisio wrote:Thanks for sharing your impressions.... I basically agree with the concept that Malbec is very different to Shiraz, I guess many folks new to Malbec tend to look at the similarities with some of the rushed and very young Malbecs (and Shirazes) that are rushed to market with a distinct jammy end to them.

Hello Al,
I dug up this link for you -- Open Mike: MALBEC... -- there was obviously a heck of a lot of response to this thread and some of the TN's may be helpful for conclusions to your "shiraz" question. I still have several bottles of Malbecs or blends that I've yet to try and then post to the "Open Mike" thread, so, there's even more Malbec to come! I might even try one or two of them this weekend, so stay tuned.

Later, Aaron.
"Wine can of their wits the wise beguile;
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile."

- Homer 900 B.C.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:43 pm

Quite so Aaron, the Open Mike Malbec thread is here to stay!!! Until Robin is convinced to do a Wine Focus at least. LOL.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:46 pm

Last weekend, we met another couple for dinner at a nearby restaurant featuring Argentine food. (Yes, lots of beef.) We ended up with an interesting mix of entrees: 2 beef, 1 pork and 1 Chilean Sea Bass. The wine for the evening was a bottle of 2004 Pascual Toso Malbec Reserva (about $16 retail). It did not come across as a Syrah-lite, rather it had its own style of blue fruit flavors, with medium body and just enough softness to go well with my Sea Bass.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:39 pm

Alejandro Audisio wrote:Well.... there are winemakers on every continent to blame for this. Its the classic case of a business persons asking for a "drinkable" wine that produces many good drinks but that somehow lack a soul.

How true!

When vinified to retain varietal character and express terroir the two wines are as different as night and day. Or sometimes more different. A good Syrah from, say, Hermitage, and a good Malbec from the Loire are as different as night on Mars and night on Venus.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:31 pm

Alejandro,

I must say that Malbec never reminds me of Shiraz. If anything, I find it very similar to Merlot in terms of aromatics, but I find that Malbec tends to have a more sinewy structure than Merlot; it's also got a nice lithe redcurrant streak to it. But Shiraz? Not at all.

The grapes that remind me of Shiraz would be Zweigelt and Blaufränkisch for their intense peppery aromatics (though they tend to be higher-acid than Syrah) and the hybrids, Baco Noir and Marechal Foch, which although not peppery, often display the kind of porky/meaty funk that Syrah can be known for. Also, Baco Noir, appropriately, can sometimes even have aromas befitting the first 5 letters of its name: bacon.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca