The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1979 Leoville Las Cases

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 1979 Leoville Las Cases

by Jenise » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:40 am

I had spent the day in the cellar putting away recent purchases, all of which were Bordeaux so by the time dinner rolled around nothing else would do. Having passed up the opportunity to decant by choosing early enough, I reached for something that would pour ready but not worth saving for a more special occasion. Based on a bottle last May that was only remarkable for being so thin and unimpressive, and Dale W's offering at the time that his experience(s) had been similar, I decided this wine would fit that bill.

Bottle condition deserves description: far worse than previous bottle. Mid shoulder fill vs. in the neck, severely corroded capsule, crumbly cork that came out in several pieces and broken glass at the mouth of the bottle that came away with the capsule. Removed wine to decanter to separate sediment.

In the glass: surprisingly good color. I remember the last bottle being more a transparent, mauve-y shade of brownish red, and this was both redder and denser. Still only medium bodied for a wine this age, but not as light as before. The improvement was obvious on the nose and palate, too: there was just more of everything here. More raspberry fruit, more spice, more tea notes, more acidity and more tannins. And most importantly, it put on weight over the three hours' time we lingered over the bottle. Now it did lack that elusive swoon factor Bordeaux lovers look for in mature wine, the bouquet never took us prisoner in the way we might have hoped, but this bottle was both good and improving, and we finished it well before it had shown us all it's upside potential. I suspect this bottle's proof that the 79 LLC's were merely hibernating, not dying.
Last edited by Jenise on Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1979 Leoville Las Cases

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:30 pm

My experiences with the '79s mirror this particular bottle. Both the LLC and Pichon Lalande were wonderful in late 2005. I've also had excellent bottles (with time in hand) of LMHB and Margaux.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:37 pm

I had a less stellar experience with the '79 LLC, but noted that the bottle might have been suspect. But overall I think "1979 Claret- An Inconsistent Vintage, but with many Gems flying Under the Radar" (title of a recent View from the Cellar article) is pretty accurate. I really liked '79 du Tertre, Gruaud, LMHB, and Figeac. All are priced well under some comparable vintages. I had the '79 Pichon Baron last night, it was ok/good, not to level of others. I look forward to my lone bottle of Pichon Lalande.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:01 pm

I have had a lot of pleasure from the 79s but don't have much left - a bottle or two of Ducru, and a Lafite, I think. Had my last LLC last year and it was consistent with your note. Nice wine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:23 pm

Bill, only three or four? But you prolly have a lot of friends who have these wines, while I have...well, you! I got interested in the vintage when Ken C. brought a totally seductive 79 Lalande to WATAPEAS a week or two after I'd dined at Lumiere and was gifted a glass of the 79 Gruaud from the Londoner at the next table. Both wines swept me off my feet, and I've picked up a few since of which only the only disappointment was the first LLC and the best was an Haut Brion. Recent reviews like Dale's on the du Tertre and my own experience with a Parker-gave-it-up-for-dead Prieur-Lichine have made me bolder about buying further down the chain in this vintage.

Dale, sorry about the Baron, but if your Lalande is a good bottle it will blow you away.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:17 pm

Other great, not horribly expensive 1979s I've had recently are GPL and especially Haut-Bailly. The Haut-Bailly was so beautiful it almost brings tears to my eyes just remembering it. But it is a vintage with very varying wines, that's for sure.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:41 pm

I was surprised that a '79 Talbot I drank a few weeks ago was so unimpressive. Acidic and a little thin.

Always searching for those magical old St-Juliens. Drank a wonderful Talbot at my brother's girlfriend's house that was either a '78 or a '79. Couldn't remember, so I bought one of each. Hoping the '78 will be similar to the great one that I remember, since the '79 was not. If not, I will accept that there is wide bottle variation, especially with a lot of age.

They come whence you least expect them. I found some magic in a 2003 Gloria last weekend, especially the bouquet, which could only come from a classy Bordeaux property. Then sweet minerals and tannins, tobacco, leather, cassis, roasted fruit (maybe a little raisin, but I didn't mind), burnt chocolate, dried herbs and about the thickest concentration I can remember. I know I said recently that I rarely get surprised anymore. But I didn't expect this treat.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am

Otto, interesting. Haut Bailly's a Graves, right? Well, I remember describing the physical reaction I had to the 79 Haut Brion--I smelled, I sipped, shut my eyes and doubled over hugging myself. It was so exquisite I just couldn't remain upright, and I don't recall ever having that kind of physical reaction to a wine. That we're both talking about Graves wines might be better than a coincidence.

Covert, of all things for an 03 Gloria to have that effect on you. Very interesting. I loved the 90, also a very ripe year, better than any year since. Too bad about your disappointment in the Talbot; hope the 78 pans out better for you. At this stage, bottle variation (and perhaps a couple of years) can be so hugely significant, it might not be possible to duplicate the experience. I'm thinking of my ex-friend's 66 Palmers--she swore to the greatness of the wine, but not one of the four or six bottles she opened for me ever showed what she remembered the wine having.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:14 pm

Jenise, IIRC Peppercorn did think the Merlot did particularily well. Since Graves usually has a bit more Merlot than the left bank, it would make sense that Graves has the potential to be impressive!
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:45 pm

Jenise wrote:Otto, interesting. Haut Bailly's a Graves, right?

Covert, of all things for an 03 Gloria to have that effect on you. Very interesting. I loved the 90, also a very ripe year, better than any year since.

My memory isn't what it used to be, but I thought I remember you not liking Haut Bailly as much as many other Left Banks. I am starting to sense a calibration to Otto's preferences. Like the 2003 Cantemerle, I think many Haut Baillys show uncharacteristic red fruit for Bordeaux, which isn't my favorite Bordeaux element.

Try as I might - and I was expecting it - I could not catch even a touch of red in the Gloria. That doesn't mean there isn't any, of course; just that my receptors didn't pick any up.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:05 pm

Haut Batailley is what you're remembering, the Paulliac--I THINK. I've long gotten these two properties mixed up. I have 98's of both in my cellar, maybe I should open one each and get an imprint once and for all.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:12 pm

Covert wrote:My memory isn't what it used to be, but I thought I remember you not liking Haut Bailly as much as many other Left Banks. I am starting to sense a calibration to Otto's preferences. Like the 2003 Cantemerle, I think many Haut Baillys show uncharacteristic red fruit for Bordeaux, which isn't my favorite Bordeaux element.

I guess that is a big different between us. I don't like black and blue fruit in my Bx. A bright redness à la Haut-Bailly or VCC is what I most like.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:25 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote: I guess that is a big different between us. I don't like black and blue fruit in my Bx. A bright redness à la Haut-Bailly or VCC is what I most like.

So, is Musar bright and red? I'm waiting to see it on a wine list when I am out so that I can try some.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:37 pm

Covert wrote:So, is Musar bright and red? I'm waiting to see it on a wine list when I am out so that I can try some.

Usually it is. Avoid the 97 and 94 which aren't.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:23 pm

Jenise wrote:Haut Batailley is what you're remembering, the Paulliac--I THINK. I've long gotten these two properties mixed up. I have 98's of both in my cellar, maybe I should open one each and get an imprint once and for all.

Here's what Parker said about the two '98s:

Bailly: Here we go again with the black cherries, which I admit I can't tell from red cherries; but I don't like cherries in my Bordeaux.

On the other hand, RP doesn't like the Batailley as much, which is a good sign. And he mentions minerals and cassis with it.

Parker: 1998 Bailly: Dark ruby-colored with a sweet nose of berry fruit, smoke, black cherries, and spice box, this medium-bodied wine is charming, restrained, rich, and long. Anticipated maturity: 2003-2016.

Parker: 1998 Batailley: A touch of austerity recalls some of the less desirable characteristics of this vintage in the Medoc. The 1998 exhibits firmness along with good, sweet, berry fruit intermixed with mineral, cassis, and spice notes. Medium-bodied and elegant, this effort is best drunk earlier rather than later. Anticipated maturity: 2002-2014.

After you try them both, please let me know which one you don't like as much. I'll still bet it is the Bailly. :)

Covert
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:28 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote: I don't like black and blue fruit ...

Me neither - sounds very painful!

And in regard to Musar, Serge will be in town here in Vancouver in March, doing a tasting from the 50s through 90s (not sure exactly which wines)

I have too much other stuff to do and will give it a pass, but it sounded interesting.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:44 pm

Bill, where's the tasting? I'd love to go.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:49 pm

Jenise wrote:Bill, where's the tasting? I'd love to go.

Wine Festival - you should be able to find details online at Playhousewinefest.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:48 am

Bill, I checked out the site. Looks like I'll have to buy these tickets in person, presuming they're still available. I presume it would be tacky to ask he-who-brings-Port for help, wouldn't it.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:50 am

Just phone them up and order by phone with Visa. If they won't deliver across the border, have them sent to me and I'll deliver them to you. But hurry, these fill up fast - and no, JR wouldn't be of any help.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:39 pm

Just tried, and of course they're sold out. Dang! Which events are you going to?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:44 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Otto Nieminen wrote: I don't like black and blue fruit ...

Me neither - sounds very painful!

And in regard to Musar, Serge will be in town here in Vancouver in March, doing a tasting from the 50s through 90s (not sure exactly which wines)

I have too much other stuff to do and will give it a pass, but it sounded interesting.

That is like being stabbed in the heart. Having the opportunity to taste the best wines in the world and being too "busy" to go. Bill, I'd like to be there instead of you. Serge rocks, and Musar rocks. Serge is one of those speakers whom I would gladly listen to even if there were no wines on show - I haven't met many that magnetic speakers. As a bonus the wines totally rock!

-O-
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:47 am

Disappointed to see that both the Musar and the session with E. Loosen have both been sold out. Has anyone purchased the Gold lounge pass before? Is this worth th $125? In the past in the Boston Wine Expo, the VIP lounge for $125 has been disappointing. The wines and the pour and the location make me almost want to just spend $125 on a bottle I liked and go home and open it up with a few like minded friends.

Should be in Vanq then so I'll probably pick up a few events though.