The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Covey Run Washington State Lemberger

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

WTN: 2003 Covey Run Washington State Lemberger

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:06 pm

2003 Covey Run Washington State Lemberger, 13.0% a.b.v., $2.99: Covey Run is owned by Centerra Wine Company (f.k.a. Canandaigua Wine) which, in turn, is owned by Constellation Wine. (I hope I got that right.) Covey Run has a nice website, but this particular wine did not figure on it as far as I could tell. There was a 2003 Yakima Valley Lemberger, but I imagine that is a horse of a different color.

This particular Lemberger was a dark garnet with a watery clear meniscus. On the nose, vanilla. In the mouth, not much, although the finish was oddly bitter. There was nothing to betray which particular grape variety went into making this wine. To be fair, it didn't taste offensive, just nondescript. It would be the perfect house red for Jose's Rolling Taqueria. At that price more is not to be expected.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: WTN: 2003 Covey Run Washington State Lemberger

by Randy Buckner » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:32 am

To be fair, it didn't taste offensive, just nondescript.

That pretty well describes all of their product line.
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:05 am

The syrah is more than $3 worth.
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:53 pm

Is there such thing as a GOOD WA Lemberger? I'm mighty biased to Austrian and Hungarian Lemberger, my only domestic examples being Hogue and Shooting Star, both of which were garbage. BUT, I'm willing to try again.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:58 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Is there such thing as a GOOD WA Lemberger?
I've never had one, but I believe a few are made in the Finger Lakes and Niagara Peninsula.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:01 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Is there such thing as a GOOD WA Lemberger? I'm mighty biased to Austrian and Hungarian Lemberger, my only domestic examples being Hogue and Shooting Star, both of which were garbage. BUT, I'm willing to try again. Prost! Bill

Ya' never know. It was the first one I ever had. An also-ran in one region might turn out to be a star in another ... just not this time. Perhaps the smaller Yakima Valley appellation is better? I got a buddy down here in Lodi who does Lemberger. At least it has some character although it doesn't taste like the Lembergers I've tried in Würrtemberg.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:03 pm

Howie is correct, a very few Lembergers (though they are never called this) are made in Ontario, but they are always labelled Blaufränkisch and always blended. Magnotta made one such blend some time back, using Gamay and Zweigelt as blending partners, I believe. The wine was okay. I haven't yet tasted a pure Niagara-grown Blaufränkisch, though the Zweigelts tend to be pretty good. Pretty good, but not as good in my opinion as the Austrian and Hungarian ones. It might just be that a learning curve has yet to be overcome.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Fox Run in the Finger Lakes produces a quite good Lemberger--20% Cabernet Franc makes all the difference.

I attended a Lemberger seminar last winter--Austria, Finger Lakes and Washington. Fox Run stood out (peppery, medium-bodied, with good backbone). Other Finger Lakes competed with the Austrian ones.
The Washington ones were lame, thin--the joys of indiscriminate irrigation.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:26 pm

Kiona makes the best Lemberger in WA IMHO. They tend to be light and soft, with berry and plum flavors, and occasionally a peppery streak. They go tit for tat with Fox Run.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:03 am

Randy Buckner wrote:Kiona makes the best Lemberger in WA IMHO. They tend to be light and soft, with berry and plum flavors, and occasionally a peppery streak. They go tit for tat with Fox Run.

I'll admit to limited experience with Lemberger right up front. Nevertheless, I tasted the 2003 Kiona Lemberger ($12) about six months ago. My tasting notes indicate it was well balanced with nice fruit on a long finish; altogether a really nice wine.

-- Clark