The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '00 Tobin James Estate Private Stash

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

WTN: '00 Tobin James Estate Private Stash

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:04 pm

2000 Tobin James, Estate Private Stash. This is a Meritage blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc. The eye sees deep ruby in the glass. On the nose and upfront you find a flower garden, cinnamon, and lots of red plumy fruits. Tremendous depth and complexity hit the palate. The finish goes on forever. Although the year is young, this is our wine of the wine so far.
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: WTN: '00 Tobin James Estate Private Stash

by TimMc » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:49 pm

Nice :D

Tobin James has always done a superb job with his wines...I will definately have to look into this one.

BTW...the current release of his 2005 "Ballistic" Zinfandel is just plain great.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

Re: WTN: '00 Tobin James Estate Private Stash

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:37 am

TimMc wrote:Tobin James has always done a superb job with his wines...I will definately have to look into this one.

Several years ago, a friend recommended I join the Tobin James wine club, so I tried it out for a year. I was rather disappointed, finding I only liked about half the wines they sent, and not really having any of them come across as a real stunner. I recall too many of them being over-oaked, and I felt their higher priced wines were lacking in body to justify their prices. Of course, they gave club members a very significant discount, but overall I could not agree with a superb rating for their wines.