The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Vignetti Mellini La Selvanella Riserva Chianti Classico Italy.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2001 Vignetti Mellini La Selvanella Riserva Chianti Classico Italy.

by Bob Ross » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:58 pm

WTN: 2001 Vignetti Mellini La Selvanella Riserva Chianti Classico Italy. $25 at Oakland Wines.

Pretty red color, light hue, lovely aroma of cherries and black pepper, excellent chianti flavors, light mouth feel, good acidity, medium finish -- that aroma was pervasive and quite extraordinary. 4*.

We've discovered quite a nice Italian restaurant only three miles from our house -- Positano, named for the little town on the Amalfi coast -- the "Pearl of the Amalfi" -- a lovely little place I spent two days exploring from several years ago. A lovely and very popular restaurant, and very highly recommended by both Janet and me.

One really nice touch; it's a BYOB with few liquor stores in the area. They give you a cloth bag to carry your partial bottle of wine home -- with the name, address and telephone number on the bag. Good advertising, and a small part of the appeal of a very friendly neighborhood joint.

Regards, Bob[/url]
no avatar
User

robs_r

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 am

Re: WTN: 2001 Vignetti Mellini La Selvanella Riserva Chianti Classico Italy.

by robs_r » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi Bob!
I discovered this wine some months ago and like it very much. You can get this for under 10 Euro here which is pretty amazing for a very nice Riserva from a great year.

• 2001 Melini Chianti Classico Riserva La Selvanella - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico Riserva (11/6/2006)
    Pretty tight at the moment. It shows a mixture of black cherries and leather, good acidity. I would hold at least for a year and believe that this will become a classical Chianti and very good.

Regards, Robert
Robert Ruzitschka
Vienna, Austria
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WTN: 2001 Vignetti Mellini La Selvanella Riserva Chianti Classico Italy

by Bob Ross » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:20 pm

Thanks for chiming in Rob -- is that your name?

I liked this wine very much. Bought at a retailer who is a real gouger, but we may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere. I do agree it should age well.
no avatar
User

robs_r

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 am

by robs_r » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:15 pm

Thanks for chiming in Rob -- is that your name?

My name is Robert, I thought that would be pretty clear :-).

Regards, Robert
Robert Ruzitschka
Vienna, Austria
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:32 am

Had this wine the past summer-it was rather tight as described, but it opened up very nicely the next day (as reported by my friend). Lot's of chianti acidity is what I remember.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:47 am

Thanks, Robert. I asked because years ago I chose robcurtross as my email name in order to distinguish myself from all the other Roberts in our company and as a signin name on a number of sites where it is still hard to change it without messing up subscriptions -- NY Times, for example.

I've seen so many version of "Rob" from folks, I just had to ask.

Thanks.

Robert Curtis Ross