The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Delivered To Your Doorstep In New Jersey

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Wine Delivered To Your Doorstep In New Jersey

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:55 pm

I probably should have simply asked Bob Ross this question, but there is indeed some enjoyment in chasing down information.

I was kidding around with our newest member from New Jersey, Maria, and I forwarded her this link: Garden State Wine Club (GSWC). I was somewhat surprised to learn that these folks provide home delivery. Seeing as how New Jersey has banned all direct winery shipments, either from in state or out of state, it just seems incongruent that retailers should be allowed to do it. I wrote to the GSWC and asked how that worked and they were kind enough to explain that in New Jersey "retailers can legally deliver as long as the sale takes place at the licensed premise and the vehicle has an ABC issued transit insignia."

Now, ain't that a boot in the buttocks? What makes retailers better at the whole delivery game than wineries or UPS or FedEx or any other common carrier with a license to lose?

On the one hand, the ability of N.J. retailers to deliver to homes seems to exemplify the double standard we have all come to know and despise. On the other hand, it's great that this service exists. It just a shame that it has to.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Alan A.

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:22 pm

Being blue deep within a red state.

Re: Wine Delivered To Your Doorstep In New Jersey

by Alan A. » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:00 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:I probably should have simply asked Bob Ross this question, but there is indeed some enjoyment in chasing down information.

I was kidding around with our newest member from New Jersey, Maria, and I forwarded her this link: Garden State Wine Club (GSWC). I was somewhat surprised to learn that these folks provide home delivery. Seeing as how New Jersey has banned all direct winery shipments, either from in state or out of state, it just seems incongruent that retailers should be allowed to do it. I wrote to the GSWC and asked how that worked and they were kind enough to explain that in New Jersey "retailers can legally deliver as long as the sale takes place at the licensed premise and the vehicle has an ABC issued transit insignia."

Now, ain't that a boot in the buttocks? What makes retailers better at the whole delivery game than wineries or UPS or FedEx or any other common carrier with a license to lose?

On the one hand, the ability of N.J. retailers to deliver to homes seems to exemplify the double standard we have all come to know and despise. On the other hand, it's great that this service exists. It just a shame that it has to.

Comes down to the retailers purchased their wines from distributors. I guess the distributors aren't concerned about minors receiving home delivered wine as long as they get their cut.
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:11 pm

Do any of you use this service? What are you thoughts on it?
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Alan A.

Rank

Wine geek

by Alan A. » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:21 pm

I don't use the service, I was just commenting on the hypocrisy of distributors and retailers who are against direct shipment by wineries.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:23 pm

Ryan D wrote:Do any of you use this service? What are you thoughts on it?

I just stumbled across this while I was googling the URL for the Garden State Wine Growers Association which is a site you should visit if you're curious about N.J. wines.

As far as the GSWC goes, I have no info, good or bad. They were, however, courteous enough to respond to my inquiry the same day I sent it.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:26 pm

There are a few Jersey folks here, hopefully one of them will have experience and chime in.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:34 pm

Alan A. wrote:I don't use the service, I was just commenting on the hypocrisy of distributors and retailers who are against direct shipment by wineries.

Hypocrisy? What's hypocritical about wanting to extact as much money as possible out of every wine transaction? :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Alan A.

Rank

Wine geek

by Alan A. » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:41 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:
Alan A. wrote:I don't use the service, I was just commenting on the hypocrisy of distributors and retailers who are against direct shipment by wineries.

Hypocrisy? What's hypocritical about wanting to extact as much money as possible out of every wine transaction? :mrgreen:

Yup!
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:01 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:Seeing as how New Jersey has banned all direct winery shipments, either from in state or out of state...

I didn't realize this Gary...I haven't ever ordered wine direct from a winery...that is really disappointing. What do you do then if you did want to order a case from a winery and you lived in NJ? Does that mean you just can't and are out of luck?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:05 pm

I buy from a number of retailers in New Jersey by FedEx or UPS if my local favorite doesn't stock the wine. Wine Searcher Pro kicks up the offerings.

Works flawlessly -- but I am still distressed that wineries can't ship directly. Some of the better ones have started to make deals with retailers and it's possible to buy at about the cellar door price through the participating retailers.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:06 pm

It's a real problem, Maria. Let me know the name[s] of any winery in New Jersey you'd like to try; I have a list of retailers that handle some of the NJ wines.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:20 pm

Maria Samms wrote:
Gary Barlettano wrote:Seeing as how New Jersey has banned all direct winery shipments, either from in state or out of state...

I didn't realize this Gary...I haven't ever ordered wine direct from a winery...that is really disappointing. What do you do then if you did want to order a case from a winery and you lived in NJ? Does that mean you just can't and are out of luck?

Yes, Maria, it's a real bummer and one reason I didn't let my last company move me back to NJ out of CA.

Bob Ross has covered all the legal alternatives above. A certain number of wineries in CA such as Viansa, Cline, Goosecross and some others have a "licensed premise" in NJ and can deliver, but that's really just a tiny minority. All I can say is that you need to start writing your state representatives!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:42 pm

I know of several wineries that will ship anywhere, but will not post any names here for obvious reasons. Having just moved from a felony state, I have to admit that I got some "no-ways", but at least one out of three obliged. It never hurts to ask; or better yet just submit an order an see what happens.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:54 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Works flawlessly -- but I am still distressed that wineries can't ship directly. Some of the better ones have started to make deals with retailers and it's possible to buy at about the cellar door price through the participating retailers.

I've been led to understand by a number of winemakers that cellar door price is usually pretty darn close to retail. The reason for this, again I am told, is that distributors don't want consumers heading for the winery or ordering from the winery because it is cheaper. They don't want to be undercut. Even so-called wine club pricing is often pretty close to retail in many instances here in California. In fact, I can get many of the day-to-day wines I like cheaper in TJ's, CostCo, and elsewhere than I can at the wineries themselves. Of course, the wineries, if they sell at retail, make a nice bit of change because they can keep the difference between their wholesale price and the eventual retail price which doesn't happen when the retailer sells their product. Oh, what a tangled web we weave! Does anybody see a conspiracy here? (Just kidding!!!!)
And now what?