The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Any recent experience with 99 Chave Hermitage?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Any recent experience with 99 Chave Hermitage?

by Jenise » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:52 pm

I'm curious, since I own the 99 and just read this TN on another site:

1999 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage
This Chave was right between the three we had tonight. Not just in vintage but also in style. While no where near as flamboyant as the 2003, it was immensely more pleasurable than the 1985. I don't think that a few more years of aging would hurt this wine, but based on table consensus we all felt that it would not get better. Medium bodied with a moderate finish. This wine was probably handicapped by being served in the company of the 2003. (91 pts.)

Based on Chave's track record and what I tasted in the one young 99 I tasted a few years ago, the implication that this wine is peaking already is suprising to say the least, even though the 99 Northern Rhones seem to be coming in early.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Any recent experience with 99 Chave Hermitage?

by Saina » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:07 pm

I haven't tasted it recently, but my experiences with other 1999s is that they are much more open and approachable than expected, but still young. But I cannot believe that it won't get better.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:17 pm

Otto--that's exactly where I am. Am surprised by other 99's showing so well at this stage, but can't imagine a Chave Hermitage being at peak now.
Last edited by Jenise on Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:11 pm

It may be slightly off subject (and I'm in the mood for a rant), BUT...I tasted a 2002 Chave Hermitage a few months ago. The price was on par with the '01 ($150ish? I said tasted, not bought :wink: ), which I thought was in extremely bad taste given the vintage. Robert Parker claimed it one of the 'best of the vintage' due to strict fruit selection, but I couldn't care less. The wine was vegetal, weedy and underripe, hollow and overly spicy (cloves). Granted that Chave is the Hype of Hermitage, but I would have more interest and respect for his wines had he declassified or threw it into his négociant label. All the better. I have more money for Burgundy. As for the '99, I'm sure it's a stunner -You are lucky to have a bottle. It may be one for the grandkids.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:40 am

Bill Hooper wrote:It may be slightly off subject (and I'm in the mood for a rant), BUT...I tasted a 2002 Chave Hermitage a few months ago. The price was on par with the '01 ($150ish? I said tasted, not bought :wink: ), which I thought was in extremely bad taste given the vintage. Robert Parker claimed it one of the 'best of the vintage' due to strict fruit selection, but I couldn't care less. The wine was vegetal, weedy and underripe, hollow and overly spicy (cloves). Granted that Chave is the Hype of Hermitage, but I would have more interest and respect for his wines had he declassified or threw it into his négociant label. All the better. I have more money for Burgundy. As for the '99, I'm sure it's a stunner -You are lucky to have a bottle. It may be one for the grandkids.

Prost!
Bill

Nice rant! I was given the 2002 blind and thought it brilliant! I didn't guess Chave, but did say good producer from 2001. :roll: Oh well, I suck at blind tastings, but if the price were sensible (which it isn't) I would buy a couple.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:59 am

Interesting difference between your reaction to the 02 and Otto's. I shall probably never come to know it myself--I ran into the 99 in a very good Houston wine shop at $130 when it was selling in California and elsewhere for $170, about a year after release. For a further 15% discount, a friend and I relieved them of their last case. I don't routinely spend that kind of money on wine and at closer to two bills I'm unlikely to do it again, but for my little nose mature Chave is the sexiest wine on the planet, a wine like no other, and worth splurging on from time to time.
no avatar
User

Håvard Flatland

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:48 pm

Bergen, Norway

by Håvard Flatland » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:08 pm

but for my little nose mature Chave is the sexiest wine on the planet, a wine like no other, and worth splurging on from time to time.

Hmm.. good, since I have a 96 and a 01 in my cellar. Looking foreward to drink them. Any suggestions to when to drink?
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:39 pm

Had the 90 on Saturday. Still alive and well but very subtle right now.

Jason
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:53 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:Had the 90 on Saturday. Still alive and well but very subtle right now.

Jason

Sorry for taking the thread to a different tanget, but it is sort of related to the whole topic. I have so often read that the reason why Burgundy of yore lived so long is that it was beefed up with Rhone wine. But so many notes declare that Rhones of under 20 YO are fully mature! What has happened? If the Burgs of today were beefed with the Rhone of today, would they really live longer?
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:53 pm

Interesting question. I will be no help but I would be intersted in others thoughts.

Of course I love old wine...that sometimes others think is dead and without life.

Jason
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:44 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:
Sorry for taking the thread to a different tanget, but it is sort of related to the whole topic. I have so often read that the reason why Burgundy of yore lived so long is that it was beefed up with Rhone wine. But so many notes declare that Rhones of under 20 YO are fully mature! What has happened? If the Burgs of today were beefed with the Rhone of today, would they really live longer?

Otto,
IIRC, it was the output of the S. Rhone bound for Beaune (the N. Rhone output was heading to the Medoc), but in any event the answer has to do with destemming and the lessening use of foudres for the elevage. FWIW, the same thing has happened to a much greater extent in Bordeaux.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:01 am

Otto, have you tried the '99 Guigal Hermitage? I tried one a few weeks ago and thought that it was extremely closed and tight, but if you are experiencing the converse, mine could have been a bad bottle.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:19 am

Mark Lipton wrote:FWIW, the same thing has happened to a much greater extent in Bordeaux.

Mark Lipton

Mark, when did this practice (if its cessation has been documented) stop?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:33 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:FWIW, the same thing has happened to a much greater extent in Bordeaux.

Mark Lipton

Mark, when did this practice (if its cessation has been documented) stop?

Jenise,
Given the quote, I am concerned that you may have misconstrued my comment. The practice that I was referring to in that sentence was the adoption of destemming and the use of barriques in Bdx. That practice has certainly not ceased and, if anything, has increased in recent years in Bdx AFAIK. If, OTOH, you were referring to the "amendment" of Bordelaise wines, I'd suspect that it (more or less) came to an end in the '80s after the Algeria scandal. Others, I'm sure, are much more knowledgable about this.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:49 pm

Yes, Mark, I was referring to the practice of adding syrah to Bordeaux wines.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:39 pm

Jenise wrote:Yes, Mark, I was referring to the practice of adding syrah to Bordeaux wines.

I thought as much. Well, I've given you what I know about it. The problem, as you might suspect, is that data gathering is a difficult activity. It sorta resembles getting reliable statistics on corruption in government.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:06 pm

Mark L, thanks for the correction.

Michael K wrote:Otto, have you tried the '99 Guigal Hermitage? I tried one a few weeks ago and thought that it was extremely closed and tight, but if you are experiencing the converse, mine could have been a bad bottle.

Michael, sorry I haven't had this one. The only Guigal '99 I've recently had is the Côte-Rôtie Brune et Blonde which was massively oaky to my taste, but very expressive.