The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Just desserts - Alcohol related accident...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Just desserts - Alcohol related accident...

by Covert » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:52 pm

Following my cavalier equations of driving under the influence with personal freedom (in my recent Toyota post) I was kind of keeping my eye on God as I drove to camp after Saturday night’s wine dinner at a Saratoga, NY restaurant. It was a business inspired function, which is about the only type of social event that I attend.

J wines were being profiled by a distributor with a nice array of dishes. Normally, I expect wine pours similar in size to how we serve them at home, but at the dinner Riedel Vinum glasses were filled to at least the halfway point, if not higher. We started with whites and switched to Pinot Noir, capping the ensemble with a very nice and limited production pear brandy. Each pour captured maybe a third of a bottle of wine. After a few of these boluses, I was at risk, anew, first of getting in trouble with the law, and much worse, of potentially being involved in a crash; which, even if I wasn’t functionally responsible, would have by law made me technically responsible.

I thought of my post and thought about all the crow I would have to eat if something untoward happened, – so I was very, very careful. First driving north through the city of Saratoga. It was only 11:00 pm, but not too early for a checkpoint. Then the counter-intuitive left turn to get on the Adirondack Northway heading north. It was raining a little and the temperature was flirting with freezing. Tricky.

Then the turn-off into the town of Warrensburg, and winding through half of it before turning onto the relative freedom of the two lane blacktop road which follows along a beautiful reach of the Hudson River north, after it is no longer navigable, and is as beautiful as it ever was, in the dark only in the mind. Finally onto the famous Route 28 Northwest and soon right onto the barely paved five mile road to camp, leaving all other cars and the world behind.

Pulling along side my camp and parking the sled, I felt a powerful sense of relief and almost made a pledge to myself to figure out how not to get into that situation more than once in a blue moon. Could we afford a driver? How do other people do it?

Once out of the car, my worries evaporated in the near euphoria of having a couple of days at camp, the pheasant in the trunk to roast, the 1998 Les Ormed de Pez I was looking forward to opening. The lake with still no ice. The loons. The solitude.

Not wanting to waste any time, I carried as much as I could in my first trip up the few wooden steps to the deck leading to the side door of camp, next to the San Francisco cable car bell, which I love to ring upon arriving, in a kind of Angelus.

But we have a problem, Huston: That the thin film of rain on the second to top stair had hit that cusp in the 29 degree mountain air. I leaned a little too far to the left trying to compensate for the heavy load in my right hand as I groped for my door key. I reached out to just tap the side of the camp in order to right my perpendicularity with the stairs. The slight push on the siding caused my left foot, holding my weight, to feel the slightest sideways force to the right – all it needed on the almost imperceptible patina of ice.

If there is one thing you learn in the woods, it’s to never step on a wet piece of wood in anything put a perfectly perpendicular angle – and double that admonition if at all icy. Faster than gravity, I began a descent back down the stairs, catching myself on a knife blade edge of the bottom railing. If I had fallen on my back, I might be paralyzed; on my stomach, I might have gotten out of it with just my wind knocked out; but on my side, there was only #11 rib to keep me from breaking my spine in half. Shattered it into three pieces.

I knew it was more than my standard type of fall, and I let that be known. My wife, who had made it to the deck, freaked and ran down, first holding my head and kissing me as if I were dying and then asking me if I could get up. I realized I couldn’t. It simply hurt too much. So Lynn, all 130 pounds of her, took hold of my arms and made a Herculean effort to right me, which she did, but not without taking her back out.

So Saturday we spend the day, both of us walking like crabs to purchase the accouterments for the pheasant dinner, and luggage with wheels for a schlep to Frankfurt that I have to make in two weeks.

The moral of the story is stay away from American wine if you are going to nearly break your neck. The headache you get the following morning, and generally undigested feeling, accentuates any other minor discomfort that you might ordinarily tolerate without a second thought.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Just desserts - Alcohol related accident...

by Brian K Miller » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:12 pm

OOf, Covert. I hope you recover well.

I've crossed the line seriously three times during the past several years. I have to learn pacing a little better.

Sadly, it wouldn't take alcohol for me to fall like that. :oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:44 am

Hope you recover quickly!!! A breathlyzer can help one be honest with oneself. Isn't instant Karma a bitch...really it is the blessing of an advanced soul. Did the alc. deaden the pain?
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:00 am

Rod Miller wrote:Hope you recover quickly!!! A breathlyzer can help one be honest with oneself. Isn't instant Karma a bitch...really it is the blessing of an advanced soul. Did the alc. deaden the pain?

Thanks, Rod.

Interestingly, to me, alcohol deadens that type of pain better than I would have thought. It was most evident the next afternoon, when we started drinking at 4:00 p.m. in anticipation of the pheasant dinner. By five, I could pretty much bend to pick stuff off the floor and get in and out of a chair without all the groaning I had been doing earlier in the day. By the next morning, I was back to feeling pain similar to the first morning after.

We had gone to a local mountain health center for X-Rays on Saturday morning, just wanting verification for what was already evident. Lynn could wiggle the rib in my back as well as in my chest. We knew that there is nothing that can be done about it other than waiting for a couple of months.

I've gotten anti drug in my old age, except for alcohol, so I eschewed the usual codeine that the docs hand out for such stuff. At first it was easy to forgo the idea of pills because most of them contain acetaminophen, which can cause a problem in the liver, if you drink, too. But the doc said he could give me codeine with aspirin. I took the scrip, but didn't fill it. Tried to trade it to the admin in exchange for a co-pay, like one might do on the street, but she wouldn't go for it. :)
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:13 am

Brian K Miller wrote:OOf, Covert. I hope you recover well.

I've crossed the line seriously three times during the past several years. I have to learn pacing a little better.

Unfortunately there isn' t much of an alternative to taking chances once in a while, if you live anywhere besides in a city with public transportation. It's nearly impossible to go to a wine event and teetotal. And if I had taken a cab it might have cost $120 - or $200. A driver is out of the question unless you are rich. I'm not sure what else to do besides take a chance and own up to it; and be very careful.

Yeah, I've taken falls on ice without alcohol, too; but three out of four happen after a few drinks.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:17 am

Covert wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:OOf, Covert. I hope you recover well.

Unfortunately there isn' t much of an alternative to taking chances once in a while, if you live anywhere besides in a city with public transportation. It's nearly impossible to go to a wine event and teetotal. And if I had taken a cab it might have cost $120 - or $200. A driver is out of the question unless you are rich. I'm not sure what else to do besides take a chance and own up to it; and be very careful.

Yeah, I've taken falls on ice without alcohol, too; but three out of four happen after a few drinks.

Covert,

May I make an obvious but seemingly elusive suggestion? You can either not drink or you can stop at one large glass. Even we in the wine business have learned to do that.

Or--stay home.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:42 pm

Thomas wrote: Covert, May I make an obvious but seemingly elusive suggestion? You can either not drink or you can stop at one large glass. Even we in the wine business have learned to do that. Or--stay home

I haven't seen statistical studies on this subject. I don't know how many people would take your approach. When I look at the range of human behavior over our history, I think I am nearer the responsible end than the savage end.

Most humans in a 'civilized' society think of themselves as responsible, but if you look closely, very few individuals are across the board. I've heard people preach against drinking and driving while they cheat on their wives and mess up marriages, causing a lot of pain, for example. People are saints in some areas, but often not in some others. Part of what I mean by taking responsibility is being intellectually honest about what it means to be human. Humans are not that great, compared to Christ. My areas of irresponsibility include drinking and driving. But I don't cheat on my wife, or taxes, and I don't lie (on purpose). Are there any areas in which you are not responsible?

911 blew a lot of Americans out of Mr. Rogers' neighborhood, but I am seeing them slowly moving back in.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:01 pm

Thomas wrote:[Covert, May I make an obvious but seemingly elusive suggestion? You can either not drink or you can stop at one large glass. Even we in the wine business have learned to do that.
Or--stay home.

Thomas. My apologies for implying - more than implying - that you were making any kind of moralistic statement. You were just stating a fact of choice. I was thinking out loud when I read what you said and directed my response to my own thinking onto you, rather than God. I was thinking hard about doing what you said, then made a split decision to not worry about it. If I can hire a driver without breaking the bank, I will; but if it is prohibitive, I will just continue to drive, and try to make it up to God in some other areas that are easier to fly right in.

Covert
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:28 pm

Ouch, yes alcohol does deaden the pain, in fact the ultimate extension is the old cliche that it's almost impossible to kill a drunk. Hope you have a quick recovery.

It's interesting comparing your views on drinking/driving, where opinions have changed out of sight here over the last 30 years. I can recall family pub crawls with my dad driving. In fact you knew he was drunk when he slowed down to the speed limit :lol:

I appreciate your honesty.

A major part of the change over here is down to legislation and enforcement, but I'm sure a small part is down to the change in volume of traffic. It's not about driving along a clear road, with little judgement needed anymore. I suspect (very) rural areas over here have a different perspective. Are you're based in a relatively rural location?

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:01 pm

I was at a bottling party recently. Sangiovese, Madeleine Angevine, Pinot noir, and a red blend from grapes both purchased and grown on the shores of Lake Whatcom here on the 49th parallel. So the wine really was flowing--everywhere. And someone got ready to leave because if he stayed he'd drink more wine which he didn't think wise, and then someone said hey, my wife's my designated driver, stay, we'll drive you home, and you can pick up your car here tomorrow.

And that got me to remembering out loud the gripes and groans in public when the organization MADD was formed and how people I knew who were really into going out after work to drink a lot (I wasn't one of them)bitched loudly about the organization and smirked at the suggestion of a "designated driver", and commenting on how good it was that we now not only use the term we embrace the principal, openly planning to be sure that all have a good time and yet get home without harming self--or worse--innocent persons.

So, let me add my condolences over your injury: bummer. But it could have been so much worse. And worst of all would be causing an accident where you survive but other persons don't. Living with that? Impossible thought. The $200 cost of a driver once or three times a year is cheap by comparison, isn't it? Heck, you might pay that to get #11 back. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:44 pm

Ian Sutton wrote: A major part of the change over here is down to legislation and enforcement, but I'm sure a small part is down to the change in volume of traffic. It's not about driving along a clear road, with little judgement needed anymore. I suspect (very) rural areas over here have a different perspective. Are you're based in a relatively rural location? regards Ian

That's an excellent, point, Ian. My whole dissertation on this subject followed a drive in the Adirondack Mountains after enjoying wine at dinner. If I hit anybody it would be some old pickup truck, which would have a drunk in it that you couldn't kill with a roll off a cliff. I don't remember seeing a another car. Driving in heavy, aggressive traffic is something entirely different; something I would avoid after drinking at almost all costs.

Best,
Covert
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:58 pm

Jenise wrote: So, let me add my condolences over your injury: bummer. But it could have been so much worse. And worst of all would be causing an accident where you survive but other persons don't. Living with that? Impossible thought. The $200 cost of a driver once or three times a year is cheap by comparison, isn't it? Heck, you might pay that to get #11 back.

You know me. I was using the genre to make larger points about taking responsibility...to recognize that what is, is. Living with killing somebody is part of that. My life would be largely over as I know it. I am a guilty person at heart. There would be no more joy, ever. But nobody promised me a rose garden; I've been extremely lucky.

I have very mixed opinions about drinking and driving, though. Like, Ian, I grew up pub crawling in cars. It's a nostalgic thing, in part: a lament connected to overpopulation. Most of me however has shifted a gear in the direction that you recommend, because the world is too crowded to live the way we used to - unless maybe one is driving alone in the mountains.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:07 pm

[quote="Covert]You know me. I was using the genre to make larger points about taking responsibility...to recognize that what is, is. [/quote]

Yes, I know that. And you know I wasn't lecturing, just recognizing how far we've come societally on this issue and feeling good about that. I remember once falling asleep while driving the fast lane on the San Diego Freeway late at night, something that had everything to do with the amount of wine I'd consumed at dinner. The freeway basically curved from east to south, and I was still driving straight. The little dots woke me up. Three weeks later a girl I worked with drove the same spot in the same conditions and didn't wake up. Ever again. I didn't have to get away with that twice to learn my lesson.

As for driving alone in the mountains--well, sure, then it's pretty much your business. Yours and Lynn's, that is.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov