The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What are verticals?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

What are verticals?

by Maria Samms » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:29 pm

I keep seeing "vertical bottles"...what are these? I am assuming they are wine bottles that can be stored upright? Is this true and if so, what is used to top the bottle?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: What are verticals?

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:00 pm

Maria, a vertical refers to tasting the same wine in successive year, while at the same time, a horizontal refers to tasting different wines of the same year. You ask interesting questions and we encourage that here.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:35 pm

Maria Samms wrote:I keep seeing "vertical bottles"...what are these? I am assuming they are wine bottles that can be stored upright? Is this true and if so, what is used to top the bottle?

I was soooooooooo tempted to link you to a custom blinds site, but, hey...

Robin has a pretty good online lexicon which you can reach here: Wine Lexicon.

I also use the Epicurious.com lexicon. The following link is to an article on wine tasting which explains what Bob has already so aptly explained and a little bit more. You can poke around there for hours.

There are a lot of these lexica and dictionaries on the web. Some are good; some need to be enjoyed cum grano salis.
And now what?
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:58 am

Maria Samms wrote:I keep seeing "vertical bottles"...what are these? I am assuming they are wine bottles that can be stored upright? Is this true and if so, what is used to top the bottle?

Maria,

Go to a wine tasting or winery cellar event and you will discover the wonderful joy in experiencing vertical wine tasting. :)
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:51 am

Thanks Bob! I had no idea...I really thought they were referring to the bottles...LOL!

Gary - :lol:
I was soooooooooo tempted to link you to a custom blinds site, but, hey...
NOW I see the NJ side of YOU!

Tim - will do!
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:00 am

P.S. Gary - those links are GREAT! Thanks so much!!
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:34 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Maria, a vertical refers to tasting the same wine in successive year, while at the same time, a horizontal refers to tasting different wines of the same year. You ask interesting questions and we encourage that here.

Ok Bob, let me see if I understand this correctly. If someone is selling, say for instance, a Robert Mondavi Reserve Vertical...this refers to several bottles of the same wine but in successive vintages?

And if you go to a vertical wine tasting...that would be a wine tasting of the same wine but in successive yrs?

Thanks again for all the info everyone!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:04 pm

Maria Samms wrote:....If someone is selling, say for instance, a Robert Mondavi Reserve Vertical...this refers to several bottles of the same wine but in successive vintages?...
Generally a vertical refers to a tasting and not an assembly for selling. Many collectors buy the same wines every year on futures or on release and cellar them, thus obtaining vertical collections.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:27 pm

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:36 pm

I did say "generally". :wink: I am not experienced in wine auctions and very little with buying on-line, however, the 1999 Marilyn Monroe is either a typo or just plane wrong. The other two are indeed verticals, assembled for selling.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:49 pm

Thanks Howie! I haven't bought on-line ever nor have I bought at auction, but in my wine research I have seen people refer to buying verticals before, so I was trying to figure out what they were...hoping to avoid posting a stupid newbie question like "where can I buy these great vertical bottles...and do they have screwcaps?" :oops: :lol:
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Maria

Words often get given new meanings (look at varietals replacement of variety), but here I think it is clear.

A vertical tasting is the same wine from different vintages -- what these sellers are doing is offering a set of the same wines of different vintages, thus I think vertical as a description is valid.

I don't understand the Marilyn on e-bay, since one of the wines shown is a Marilyn Cabernet and all the others Marilyn Merlot,so different wines and thus not a vertical.

But who expects e-bay sellers to get it correct?
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:26 pm

Some amazing prices being payed for the Marilyn's. Is the wine any good or are people just buying it for the label? And why do they seem to be making a big point of the bottle being 'sealed'. Surely any bottle with wine in it is 'sealed'.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

by Graeme Gee » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:00 pm

Given the legalities around 'unlicensed' sellers trying to sell alcoholic products, it strikes me that the terminology is designed to skirt the law if possible. So you don't sell 'wine', you sell a 'bottle'. Could be empty, of course, you know - might be autographed or something. Anyway, you're selling a glass bottle - an object - nothing illegal about that.
It just happens, in this case, that the bottle is 'sealed'. Make of that what you will - I don't know. It could even be full of wine, for instance. But it's the bottle that's being sold.

A bit like social clubs in Australia might get around the problem at a fundraising function by offering "Buy a pretzel for $5 and get a free beer..."
cheers,
Graeme
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:34 pm

Neil Courtney wrote:Some amazing prices being payed for the Marilyn's. Is the wine any good or are people just buying it for the label?

I think it's a self fulfilling investment, people invest in the wine intending to resell it because they've seen other people selling it.

I have two bottles on Marilyn Merlot and I know not whether to drink it or save it as an investment. However, its not sold in the UK, very few people know about the wine(other than those smart ones who have bought my book ;) and so I doubt it would fetch anything here. :(