The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Pics and WTNs from Spoleto, Umbria

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

Pics and WTNs from Spoleto, Umbria

by Paulo in Philly » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:04 pm

Ciao from Umbria, Italy!

We arrived yesterday in Spoleto (the 10th) and tomorrow the 12th we head over to Assisi (as in St. Francis) to continue the organizational trip for our choral and cultural summer program called Umbrian Serenades (see http://www.umbrianserenades.com/).

If you ever find yourself in Spoleto, you must go to La Cantina del Corvo of chef Marco. There we will have our first dinner during our program this coming summer. Marco specializes in innovative Umbrian cuisine with an artistic flair. Last night I had codfish stuffed cannolini that was to die for; very delicate and creamy. The head waiter has a wine degree from AIS and is always eager to share his passion for wines; needless to say we always talk wine. Last night he suggested a Vino Spumanti di Qualita' Brut made with the trebbiano spoletino varietal in the charmat method by Umbrian producer Tomaso Coricelli, who is somewhat of a newcomer to wine but has been producing quite elegant wines. Though trebbiano spoletino is not my favorite white varietal from this region, this brut (11% alcohol) was quite lovely, refreshing, floral, with balanced fruit, going perfectly with our food.

For "dolce" I had a wonderful warm grand marnier torta with orange sauce that was heavenly. Accompanying this sinful treat was Florio Moscato di Sicilia "Grecale" 2005 from Marsala, Sicily. Golden deep yellow, honey/apricot on the nose, aromatic, elegant honey, juicy and mouth watering peach on the palate with a creamy hazlenut finish. YUM!!!!

Today I visited a new wine/cheese bar in the historic center called "Spoleto Cafe'; we had two wines, and lovely finger foods, cheeses, and salamis. The place is small and very cozy, fitting maybe 15 people - I loved it! We started off with a Chateau Bonnet Entre Deux Mers Bordeaux 2004 of Andre Lurton. Crisp, clean, tart, grassy SB character, elegant grapefruit.

I must share a picture of our wonderful plate of assorted cheeses (with pears and walnuts) of various local producers made of goat, sheep, and cow's milk that were one mouth-gasm after another!!

With salamis and cold cuts we enjoyed a few glasses of Tomaso Coricelli's 2003 Sagrantino di Montefalco: deep garnet color, black cherry fruit, spice, licorice; tamed tannins with typical chakly mouth feel, fresh ground black pepper finish; balanced oak, overall an elegant Sagrantino.

...and here I am enjoying the Sagrantino! For now this is it. I will report within the next few days from Assisi and Perugia! Cheers!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Pics and WTNs from Spoleto, Umbria

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:34 pm

Great pics Paulo, where are all the lovely ladies...or the waitress?!!!!
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:43 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Great pics Paulo, where are all the lovely ladies...or the waitress?!!!!

Thanks, Bob!

Hey, take your mind out of the gutter! I am an innocent happy lad! 8)
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:53 am

I recently received a Sangrantino as a gift [Vignabaldo]. It is a 2002 and I was wondering how long to hold onto it. Was the 2003 you drank ready or should I wait?
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:12 am

Paulo! Magnifico! You are having far too much fun :D

and Bob's mind is always in the gutter :wink:
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:19 pm

Ah, Paulo! Now I am regretting even more that I was unable to join you on the trip. :wink:

Thanks for the reports so far!
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:20 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Ah, Paulo! Now I am regretting even more that I was unable to join you on the trip. :wink:

Thanks for the reports so far!

Glad you are enjoying it. I am trying to be good about taking pics and reporting. It is just so overwhelming and exciting to be here! Next time you'll need to come with us!!! 8)
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:50 pm

Dang man, how am I going to convice my wife to blow her retirement savings on a trip to Umbria next week? Well, were young yet so, like my mom, we can wait till after retirement. I can't wait.

rwj