The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Flabby?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Flabby?

by Maria Samms » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:29 pm

I am confused about what the term "flabby" means. I am not sure I have ever had a wine that was flabby. I had a bordeaux last night the was just plain bland...it was so thin it was almost like drinking water...no tannins, no acidity, no flavor. Would that be considered flabby?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Flabby?

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:30 pm

In my usage flabby refers to the texture, so low acidity and low tannin would make a wine flabby.

Flavor profile is a different issue.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:32 pm

As a side note, if your Bordeaux tasted like drinking water, there is a strong chance it may have been 'corked' - i.e. infected with TCA which would mask the fruit flavors (among other things that chemists are better qualified to explain).

Some cheap industrial white wines may taste like 'drinking water' but no matter how cheap and industrial, you would not expect that from a sound bottle of what I assume was a red Bordeaux.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:36 pm

'Flabby' is used to describe wines that are low in acidity; it is usually used to describe white wines.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:02 pm

I use the term "flabby" for wines that are deficient in acidity. Sweet wines with this problem are cloying rather than enjoyable. Dry wines that are flabby are simply tiring and a chore to drink, rather than a pleasure.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:13 pm

I'm with Paul (and Oliver, though I use for red too) - low acidty. I've had high tannin wines I thought flabby
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:58 pm

Ok, I think I know what you all mean...I don't think this wine would have been flabby then, since it was very thin and watery...it was like drinking water.

Rahsaan - I don't *think* it was corked. It had a pretty good nose, it just had no taste, tannin or anything...just very bland and watery. It didn't smell off at all though, in fact it was rather fruity smelling. I guess that it really surprised me that it was so bland when it smelled ok. But, I have never really had a corked wine before, so it's totally possible that it could be that. I had it with steak last night, and it definitely tasted even more watery after eating the steak.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

My Usage....

by TomHill » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:52 pm

When I use "flabby" in a tasting note, it means, to more, more than just low acidity. I like to think of the Pillsbury DoughBoy or a Sumo wrestler. To me, it means a wine that also has a texture or body or (sometimes) a richness, along with a very low acidity. You can also have a wine (usually white) that is thin in body, texture, lacks flavor and low in acidity. Then is prefer to use "watery" to describe such a wine.
My take anyway...not that I'd know anything i"m talking about.
Tom
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: My Usage....

by Sam Platt » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:47 pm

"Flabby" to me has always been the wine equivalent of a drink mix known as a "Suicide", where you simply pour a whole bunch of stuff together and drink it. I've interepted it to mean "overblown, and lacking focus". I will gladly defer to those more knowledgable than me.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:10 pm

Maybe the term should be avoided. Describe the characteristics that are specific rather than using an ambiguous term. Describe the acid, its taste, and its integration (contribution) to the overall wine profile.
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:28 pm

Rob Miller wrote:Maybe the term should be avoided. Describe the characteristics that are specific rather than using an ambiguous term. Describe the acid, its taste, and its integration (contribution) to the overall wine profile.

Okay! Sounds reasonable to me.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:20 pm

I am not sure I use this term in my tasting notes but can see the reason word "flabby" is used. I find the meaning=lack of acidity.
Blowsy is one term I have used!! Not sure where I got that from? Have been know to mention it when tasting shiraz. LOL. Think the meaning is unkempt, all over the place. Yeah, thats shiraz!!!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:54 am

"Blowsy" is a term I've seen in Jancis Robinson's writing.

I use "flabby" in the sense of the difference between an Olympic champion diver doing a precision entry in the pool, versus a sumo wrestler doing a belly flop and nearly drowning all the onlookers. You may get a lot of fruit flavor or sugar. With balancing acidity, it would dance on your palate, and only leave you craving for more, and to repeat the experience again. Without the acidity, that fruit or sugar quickly outstays its welcome--it becomes cloying and tiresome on the palate, and far from wanting more, you end up regretting that you took that sip in the first place.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:18 am

I prefer descriptions that have more universal meaning, that is, how fruity or oaky aromas fit into the mix of sweetness or acid tastes. What is the aroma like? What is the relative sweetness level (even the most dry wine has some amount of sugars or sugar like substances)? What is the relative acid level? Is the acid taste volatile acid, tartaric, or citrusy.
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!