The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Marsannay rose, wines with fusion Indian

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Marsannay rose, wines with fusion Indian

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:06 am

Friday Betsy made a salmon "japonaise" from an old Pierre Franey cookbook. Usually I go with PN and salmon, but though a red might not be best with a fried dish. A compromise- the 2005 Domaine Bart Marsannay Rosé. Light-bodied, lively acidity, pure strawberry fruit. Maybe a little short and without a lot of depth, but what do you want in a $11 rosé? Nice match, nice if simple little wine. B

Saturday we were invited out for a friend's birthday dinner. Plans were for a bistro we like, but when the husband of birthday girl called for a reservation, the bistro was hesitant to take a group of 10, saying short-staffed. As that place is a bit slow, Jim called and told us they had decided on an Indian fusion place, Zafran in Yonkers. Betsy and I tried to recall our one meal there, a couple years before. I finally said " oh yeah, I think we liked, but am I right - no alcohol license?" I called, confirmed, and alerted Jim. He said he's bring Champagne and beer, I would bring red and white. Birthday crisis averted. The wines:

NV Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Champagne
Another disappointing showing of what I used to think of as a value Champagne. Somewhat flat mouthfeel, coarse texture, anonymous white fruit. C+

NV Bollinger "Special Cuvee" Brut Champagne

I generally prefer the lighter-styled houses a la Taittinger, but this is a nice example of a fuller style. Toasty, with full apple pie flavors, good length. B+

2005 Breton "Franc de Pieds" Bourgueil
Spicy dark berry fruit, this is fun. Bright and lively, nice length and depth, gets more spicy/peppery as evening goes on. B+/A-

2001 Dr. F. Weins-Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett
I've had not such great experiences with Weins-Prum, so rather low expectations, but thought a little sweetness might contrast well with the food for a non-geeky crowd. This was actually a bit of a nice surprise, good lime zest over apple fruit, rather broad texture (more Spätlese than Kabinett), decent length. Just a hint of petrol dancing around. Nice if not profound. B+

Nice night with good people, fun discussions of mandolins, life in Beijing, "Wine and War", Robert Bly, and more. I liked appetizers ( a combination of traditional samosas & pakoras, plus pastry wrapped samosas, pastry tandoori shrimp, tandoori Tuscan Chicken) more than main courses as a whole (I found lamb vindaloo not spicy enough, saag dishes a little disappointing - they use olive oil, bring back the ghee!).

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.