The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Amarone under $30

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Amarone under $30

by Victorwine » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:11 pm

Very rarely do I find an Amarone for under $30 (US). Usually I’ll pick up a few bottles and stash them away in my cellar and save them for a special occasion, sometimes holding on to them for a long time. In reality the case or two of commercial wines in my cellar actually gets “lost” in the scuffle when I bottle our homemade Zins and Barberas.
A few months back when stopping in on a small mom and pops liquor store I found a treasure- Amarone Della Valpolicella (DOCG) Classico 2003 Terre di Bo. The price tag is what really shocked me; it was only $21.95 (US).
Very approachable now, deep garnet color, nice balance and structure. Full-bodied with rich concentrated fruity aromas and flavors of black fruit and berries. A long and pleasant after taste to boot.
My father and I liked this one so much I revisited the store (mid December) and bought his last two bottles. Before leaving the owner promised me he was expecting a delivery by the end of the month. With the holiday season upon us and family and friends popping in, we had no problem consuming these two bottles. I guess its time to pay that mom and pops liquor store another visit.
Is anyone familiar with this wine and what are your impressions of it?
GAMAFOOD; Imported by Monsieur Touton Selection, LTD NY NY.

Salute
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Amarone under $30

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:39 am

Victor, I remember a fair Brunello from this winery years ago but have not come across the Amarone. I did a google and most stores seem to price around $29 so bargain time where you shop!!
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:18 am

Thanks Bob

Salute
no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

by Andrew Shults » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:31 pm

Touton (the importer and distributor) specializes in deep discounting and serving smaller stores. I know they just entered my area and won't serve the two Chicago giants, Binny's and Sam's. So stick with your mom & pop shop to find this.

The store where I work just started carrying the Terre di Bo Amarone (as well as their Brunello and Barolo), and they are great values, not top-of-the-line examples of these wines but probably the best entry-level ones you'll find. I suspect Terre di Bo is a "house brand" of Touton.