The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Quick Q regarding cooling a wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Quick Q regarding cooling a wine

by Jon Peterson » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:06 pm

Hi everyone - I trust the new year has gotten off to a great start for you.
I put some white wines in the fridge but did not drink them over the past two weeks. I want to take them out and place them back in the cellar. I've always had a feeling that once cooled in the fridge, the wine may suffer if removed and not consumed until some time later. Maybe this comes from the old days when the rumor was that Coors beer had to be kept cool - I don't know. Any cause for concern here or not? JP
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Quick Q regarding cooling a wine

by Jenise » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:16 pm

No concerns at all, Jon. Just move the bottles to a cool environment such that they don't warm up too fast, which could cause the cork to move a bit and allow for seepage.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:18 pm

If they weren't opened Jon, no problem at all.

Happy New Year to you too. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:26 pm

Thank you both, Jenise and Rob.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:06 am

Coors was never anything more than the worst piss-water anyway. The Coors brewery was right to insist that beer transported across the country should be kept under refrigeration so that it doesn't get skunked in transit. This lead to the great mystique Coors enjoyed on the US East Coast during the mid-1970s. For most beer aficianados, this mystique lasted as long as the first taste. Then it was that they found out it was just as insipid--in fact, maybe worse--than the local cheap brews such as Genessee.

So back to wine. The only potential "damage" that refrigeration might do is to cause precipitation of excess tannins or tartrates present in the wine. Most of which will redissolve when the wine gets warm again.

The major thing that refrigeration will do is to slow down oxidation.

If thye were never opened, you have nothing to worry about. Put them back into the cellar, and they'll never notice that they were refrigerated for a few days.

Salut,

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:04 am

Thanks, Paul. Everyone here in DC has stories from college (mid-1970s) about the guy/gal that worked on the Hill for a congressman from CO who had a case of Coors that they managed to get on campus - I hardly believed them. Anyway, my wines are back in the cellar and sleeping for now.