The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Ridge Geyserville 2001 Zinfandel/Carigna/Petit Sirah (37.5cl)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Ridge Geyserville 2001 Zinfandel/Carigna/Petit Sirah (37.5cl)

by Ian Sutton » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:08 pm

Not a tasting note, but just a big thumbs up.

14% alcohol seems to assist a well balanced wine with a touch of peppery spiciness, good solid (but not over the top) complex fruit and gentle tannins. Acid is nicely judged as well for what comes across as a good warm climate wine. More than enough to hold the interest without needing to shout about it.

Whilst not cheap for a half bottle (£12), I'm very happy with this.

Looking forward to our 99 Petit Sirah from the same producer if this is a fair reflection on the producers style.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Ridge Geyserville 2001 Zinfandel/Carigna/Petit Sirah (37.5cl)

by Peter May » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:30 pm

Ian -- I think thats a good price for a half. The Wine Soc has the 75cl bottle at £22.

I'd be drinking a lot more Ridge if it was a little less expensive -- good wine, good winery. And I love the Petite Sirah.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Ridge Geyserville 2001 Zinfandel/Carigna/Petit Sirah (37.5cl)

by JC (NC) » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:50 pm

I did a tasting note on the 2001 Ridge Geyserville recently and concluded that I should have read the back label first which suggests that this wine will be at its best from 2010 to 2013. I was curious, having had various vintages of Ridge Lytton Springs but no Geyserville previously, so probably couldn't have been that patient anyway. If I purchase more of the 2001 I will hold it a few years. My preference is still for the Lytton Springs (I also enjoy the Paso Robles Ridge from Dusi Ranch grapes which is slightly less expensive and might be more rustic or more "ripe" in style.)