The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Question about the definition of "Brett"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Question about the definition of "Brett"

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:14 am

Newbie question: I love leather in Chianti Bordeaux and some California wines. In reading the lexicon's definition of "Brett," I assume that "leather" notes are not always/primarily a sign of "Brett", especially when the wine is otherwise "clean" (non-stinky)?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Question about the definition of "Brett"

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:46 am

I am always thinking "band-aid' when referring to brett. Jamie Goode in his excellent book "Wine Science"on page 136 lists the following........Ammonia, mouse droppings,manure, burnt beans (!), barnyard, stable, leathery, wet dog, cheesy etc'

For further info, check chapter 18 Brettanomyces.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:56 am

don't assume that you can identify brett - believe it or not many people cannot. the bandaids aroma is a precursor to really bretty smells and is detected by even fewer people. i remember once at a tasting of father/son wines - the son took over the winemaking in a particular year and in a vertical tasting - the brett was obvious in those wines - at least i thought so. but in asking at tables of 10 - only 2 or 3 per table at most were willing to say they could detect it. 'leather' would be a descriptor only of very lightly affected wines - if you've never actually gotten 'poopy barnyard', then you aren't sensitive to it in all liklihood. but the problem even with leather is that leathery chianti or bordeaux or other wine are too much like each other - that is, the leather (or in some cases oak or ..... ) hides the specific character of that region. for people who like oaky or leathery or whatever wines - it pretty much doesn't matter where the wine comes from. for other people, anything that makes a wine taste like others rather than itself is a problem.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:42 am

Brian,

In short, leathery is not necessarily an identification of Brett.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:58 am

i'm not certain that IS what i meant; and in any event that is not ALL i meant.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:42 pm

That was not a comment on your post, Creighton, it was all I meant to post on the subject.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:01 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Newbie question: I love leather in Chianti Bordeaux and some California wines. In reading the lexicon's definition of "Brett," I assume that "leather" notes are not always/primarily a sign of "Brett", especially when the wine is otherwise "clean" (non-stinky)?

Leather is not always a sign of Brett - I get 'nice' leather in non-Bretty wines, but 'stinky sweaty horse saddle' leather is a sure sign of Brett.

Here's another desciptor to add to the Brett vocabulary - burnt electronics. If your computer has ever blown up, you will know what I mean. Another is burning bakerlite.

Bandaid is a good one, but I find that some types of bandaid are more bretty than others - especially the thin plastic ones. There are other medicinal aromas to be considered too - think about it next time you scrape your skin and apply ointment or mercurachrome (is that still around?) or whatever.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:18 pm

Hi Sue, lots of chat over here about NZ PN. Not too many seem impressed so what (entry level type) wines should we be looking out for?
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:46 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Hi Sue, lots of chat over here about NZ PN. Not too many seem impressed so what (entry level type) wines should we be looking out for?

Bob
Not entry level (nor am I Sue!), but Martinborough Vineyard has been a big favourite over the years. I suspect it will be pushing Can$40+ a bottle though. Personally I favour Martinborough as a region over Marlborough and Central Otago - more track record IMO.
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:48 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Hi Sue, lots of chat over here about NZ PN. Not too many seem impressed so what (entry level type) wines should we be looking out for?

Uh! I thought we were talking about Brett. Although I have to say that Brett in Pinot Noir is attention grabbing. It sticks out like a broken leg in a cast. Yuck!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:49 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:Newbie question: I love leather in Chianti Bordeaux and some California wines. In reading the lexicon's definition of "Brett," I assume that "leather" notes are not always/primarily a sign of "Brett", especially when the wine is otherwise "clean" (non-stinky)?

Leather is not always a sign of Brett - I get 'nice' leather in non-Bretty wines, but 'stinky sweaty horse saddle' leather is a sure sign of Brett.

Here's another desciptor to add to the Brett vocabulary - burnt electronics. If your computer has ever blown up, you will know what I mean. Another is burning bakerlite.

Bandaid is a good one, but I find that some types of bandaid are more bretty than others - especially the thin plastic ones. There are other medicinal aromas to be considered too - think about it next time you scrape your skin and apply ointment or mercurachrome (is that still around?) or whatever.

Cheers,
Sue

I think the Hippy Cabernet Sauvignon I bought this summer was very, very bretty, then :)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:52 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Hi Sue, lots of chat over here about NZ PN. Not too many seem impressed so what (entry level type) wines should we be looking out for?

Uh! I thought we were talking about Brett. Although I have to say that Brett in Pinot Noir is attention grabbing. It sticks out like a broken leg in a cast. Yuck!

It`s called thread hijacking!!!
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:32 am

Brett tastes like plastic or burnt plastic. The plastic description has been shown to be most accurate...Here is a quote from a study on the topic. They used different descriptors and found that plastic taste correlated with the presence the brett yeasts.

"This study of commercial wines supports the conclusion from an earlier descriptive analysis study based on the direct addition of a 4-ethyl phenol to red wine: the amount of 4-ethyl phenol quickly changes the wine aroma from pleasant to unpleasant with a concentration increase from 2 to 4 mg/L (Etiévant et al., 1989). Our investigation shows that aroma modifications by Brettanomyces yeasts can be reliably detected and quantified with trained tasters. Further investigations into the chemical basis of the “Brett” aromas will allow us to use chemical indicators to detect activity of these yeasts early."

http://dspace.library.cornell.edu/handle/1813/398

How about plastic buttermilk? Here is what I have done. Find a Wine that you think is heavy brett and give a sample to a self proclaimed expert and after a few people confirm your tasting you will easily taste it. I throw away bottles with brett in it. I don't go to local wineries where I have tasted it. This is probably why I don't like most French wine I taste.
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:14 am

...and here I thought "band-aid" was a descriptor for the aroma of poorly made pinotage.

In the Oxford, Jancis Robinson describes the effect of Brettanomyces as "mousey" or "metallic," neither of which seems satisfactory to me. If a wine's nose has an overpowering aroma of baby diapers, that's Brett to me. Some people (the English) like it.

By the way, Brett is your most likely reward for not using enough sulphur dioxide.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:46 am

a lot of what is written by the others sounds off to me - like they really don't get it. plastic? no way.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:30 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:...and here I thought "band-aid" was a descriptor for the aroma of poorly made pinotage.

In the Oxford, Jancis Robinson describes the effect of Brettanomyces as "mousey" or "metallic," neither of which seems satisfactory to me. If a wine's nose has an overpowering aroma of baby diapers, that's Brett to me. Some people (the English) like it.

By the way, Brett is your most likely reward for not using enough sulphur dioxide.

There is no one Brett aroma and flavor; there are different strains of Brettanomyces, and they produce different aromas.

Several years ago someone at Davis was studying Brett and deliberately contaminated samples of a red wine with different strains, then organised a tasting of those samples. There were a broad range of off aromas, including Band-Aid, burnt beans, and 'lead pencil'.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Lisa Roskam

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:48 am

France

by Lisa Roskam » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:18 am

Just to add my 2 cents...

As Oliver said different Brettanomyces strains can produce different aromas. Different environments will cause the yeasts to produce slightly different metabolic products. Finally these metabolic products will have different aromas at different concentrations. This explains why there is no one "Brett" aroma.

The two chemical markers used to determine the presence of Brettanomyces in wine are 4-ethyl phenol and 4-vinyl phenol. 4-ethyl phenol has more of the barnyard, leather, horsey aromas while 4-vinyl phenol is more medicinal, pharmaceutical (possibly plastic to some).

I worked in a winery where we had one lot of contaminated wine (the Brett came in on the grapes). A clove aroma in the wine alerted the winemaker to the possible presence of the yeast so he sent a sample for analysis and sure enough the lab found 4-vinyl phenol and Brett. He said that the clove would evolve to a more medicinal aroma with increased concentration of the 4-vinyl phenol. Thankfully he caught it long before that point.

Lisa
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:08 am

Oliver, Lisa: Thanks! Good stuff. This is more complicated than I thought.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:46 pm

Lisa,

good post, but I think you meant 4-ethyl phenol and 4-ethyl guiacol?
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Lisa Roskam

Rank

Cellar rat

France

by Lisa Roskam » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:42 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:Lisa,

good post, but I think you meant 4-ethyl phenol and 4-ethyl guiacol?

Thanks Oliver. It was actually the 4-vinyl guiacol that we found in the wine. Sorry. I had to go back and take a quick look at my enology textbooks, since I definitely don't recall yeast metabolisms off the top of my head.

Guiacols are related to (one extra -OCH3 group) and associated with the phenols so I probably should not have mentioned one without the other. 4-ethyl guiacol (smokey, spicey) and 4-vinyl guiacol (peppery, carnations) are produced by both saccharomyces and brettanomyces so the guiacols, on their own, are not a sure indication of the presence of brett. (per Traite d'Oenologie: Chimie du vin, 1998)

Lisa
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:22 pm

He said that the clove would evolve to a more medicinal aroma with increased concentration of the 4-vinyl phenol. Thankfully he caught it long before that point.

Lisa

Awesome info. What happened to the wine? What was the benefit of catching it early? Trashing the wine?
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:57 pm

Nice info here about Brett. As Lisa has stated in her post these micro-organisms that are responsible for creating these aromas we refer to as ‘Brett” can come in on the grapes or they can be lurking about the winery (in a very old barrel or less than clean winemaking procedure) just wanting for the opportunity to do what they do. These resilient little creatures have the ability to remain dormant until their “environment” becomes favorable for them to become “active”. Being an amateur winemaker I have to make a clear distinction between “clean” and “being sanitized” Something can be sanitized but not necessarily clean. This is why I clean (once, twice and then a third time); rinse (once, twice, and then a third time), and then finally sanitize. Sulfite may be used as (or thought of, by no means is this it’s only purpose in winemaking) as a sanitizing agent, but by no means is it a “cleaning” agent. The use of sulfite may keep the “organism at bay” or keep it in its dormant state. But with the passing of time sulfite losses its effectiveness or its level drops to a level that the organism can tolerate and if its “environment” becomes favorable for it to come to life it will do so. So if caught early I guess it’s very possible to keep their activity to a minimum using sulfite (and monitoring pH) and then removing the micro-organism from the wine by filtration and possibly saving the wine. Remember a slight “Brett” aroma(s) (to some people anyway) can add richness and complexity to a wine.

Salute
no avatar
User

Lisa Roskam

Rank

Cellar rat

France

by Lisa Roskam » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:48 am

Rod Miller wrote:
He said that the clove would evolve to a more medicinal aroma with increased concentration of the 4-vinyl guiacol. Thankfully he caught it long before that point.

Lisa

Awesome info. What happened to the wine? What was the benefit of catching it early? Trashing the wine?

We did some trial blends including the tainted lot, but the bretty aromas were unacceptable to the winemaker (not even noticeable to me) so he sold off the wine in bulk. This was a small winery so it was not possible to blend the lot in a small enough percentage to make the brett contributions "complex".

The benefit of catching it early was that we were able to avoid contaminating other lots of wine by isolating the one tank. We also treated the wine (in this case via flash pasteurization) to get rid of the actual brett at a point where the wine was still saleable on the bulk market. A consultant suggested treating the wine with charcoal, but that would have stripped out more than just the bretty aromas.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:15 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:It`s called thread hijacking!!!

Bob, jumping in a little late here, "thread hijacking" really isn't very polite, and I'd appreciate it if you (and all) would make a little more effort to avoid that. The problem is this: One of the very few faults with the still-new forum software is that it's not easy to sort out sub-threads in longer discussions, and it kind of messes up a good conversation to have off-topic replies salted in. (Alas, I'm contributing to this by responding to you, but I think it's a sermon that needs to be preached.)

It's so easy to start a new thread asking for NZ Pinot recommendations and discussions ... why bury it as an off-topic reply in an unrelated thread?)
Next