The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Birthday wines - J. Lassalle, Girardin, Outpost

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

WTN: Birthday wines - J. Lassalle, Girardin, Outpost

by Gregg G » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:37 pm

We had a small quiet dinner last Friday with my wife, my parents, my brother and his wife. Dinner was at a new bistro in my hood (Canale). The food was great, the wines showed well and having my immediate family with me was perfect. Just what I wanted this year. There were only 3 of us drinking because of colds and abstinence, though my father, the one with the cold, decided to have small tastes of each wine.

• N.V. J. Lassalle Brut Rosé 1er Cru Cuvée des Grandes Annees - France, Champagne, Montagne de Reims (12/29/2006)
    The color on this wine seemed more rose like than a previous bottle. This is one of the best deal champagnes I've ever had. I believe PC blew these out for about $25. Aromatically this wine is very appealing with brioche and cherries in the foreground. Nice mousse and lightly textured. The finish has good length and persistence. Certainly should have bought more as this was my last bottle. Kermit Lynch import.
  • 1998 Vincent Girardin Chambolle-Musigny Les Charmes 1er Cru - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny (12/29/2006)
    Deep, dark ruby color. Took about 30 minutes to open, and boy did it. Aromatically this wine was a cornucopia that Burgundy can be, eventually becoming very complex and engaging with asian spice, cedar and dark cherries. Just a luscious palate with extraordinary depth. The fruit is still somewhat primary but quite concentrated. Still with plenty of tannins, but not too firm. This wine will certainly improve in the cellar. I'm glad I have another one. I hope I can hold off another 5 years.
  • 2004 Outpost Grenache - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain (12/29/2006)
    Double decanted for 1.5 hrs. Upon opening very little aromatics and very tight on the palate. Once we served it, approximately 2.5 hrs after opening, the wine had opened up considerably. This is unmistakably Grenache. What's noticeable is the new oak treatment, though I think the very concentrated fruit will absorb this over time. Without the creamy vanilla, one is left with pure raspberry fruit. The wine has tremendous length and grip. This is bottle one of a 6 pack and I think its evolution will be interesting to follow.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: WTN: Birthday wines - J. Lassalle, Girardin, Outpost

by Randy Buckner » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:20 pm

J. Lassalle is one of my favorite Champagne houses -- still pretty reasonably priced in the big scope of things.