The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Notes, notes, notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Notes, notes, notes

by Florida Jim » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:34 am

2005 André et Michel Quenard, Chignin:
The jacquère grape is fast becoming my ‘go to’ white grape for vin blanc and this lovely Vin de Savoie is a charming example of why; clear, clean scents of white fruit, alpine fields and stones are inviting; the palate echoes that profile in a medium weight, smoothly textured yet bright and tangy delivery; medium length finish. A pleasure to drink, with or without food. 11% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and about $13; I’ll buy more this evening.

2002 Barthod, Bourgogne Les Bons Bâtons:
This has picked up weight since release and is more open, textured and appealing; lots of red and black fruit flavors with hints of spice and earth; medium weight, smooth but still focused; long, balanced finish. Delicious with grilled chicken and also, by itself. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Rosenthal and about $22 on release; I’d buy more at that price.

2004 Anselmi, Capitel Foscarino:
Served with sliced tomatoes, mozzarella and pesto salad, this was stony and full of fruit, lacked any RS (which I thought I found in the last bottle) and matched the dish pretty well. I think I’d prefer a Muscadet or some such, but not a bad pairing. 13% alcohol, imported by Palm Bay Imports and about $17; I’d buy it again.

2005 Dom. Diochon, Moulin-à-Vent VV:
While this is good, young Beaujolais it does not raise to the level of the Vissoux, MaV; its 13% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and about $17. And while I would buy it again, if I can have the Vissoux, MaV for $22, I’ll spend the extra $5, every time. Served along side pasta with veggies and chicken, this was delicious, albeit atypical of its terroir.

2005 Clos de la Roilette (Coudert), Fleurie Cuvée Tardive:
Not giving much indication of Fleurie at the moment and pretty heavily weighted toward structure, particularly on the back end; this wine needs cellar time to resolve the tannins and let the very concentrated fruit unwind. While I think it a good wine and one I would be pleased to be served anytime, I think that several other Fleurie’s from this vintage are performing better today. 13% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $21; I bought plenty.

A New Year’s Eve dinner with friends:

Crackers and cheese:
N/V Nino Franco, Proseco Rustico:
Smells sweet but is bone dry, solid flavors, energetic bead, 11% alcohol, clean finish. What more could one want for $12? Imported by Vin Davino, this is my favorite bubbly these days.
(BTW, does anyone else prefer their bubbly in a regular wine glass as opposed to a flute? I do.)

Pasta with veggies:
2004 Dom. Huards, Cheveny Le Pressoir:
Lightweight, stony flavors from this pinot/gamay (80/20) blend; charming wine with enough earthiness to stand with food yet good by itself, especially with a light chill. 12% alcohol, imported by Jon-David Headrick and about $15; I’d buy it again.

Grilled wild salmon with goat cheese sautéed Portobello’s:
2001 Wetzel Estate, Pinot Noir Single Cluster:
Earthy, quite complex and rich with fabulous acidity, this Dallas, Oregon producer (Chateau Bianca; evidently Wetzel is the family name) has really out done themselves here; single cluster refers to pruning to one cluster per shoot and this wine shows the kind of concentration one would expect from such practice. The palate is multi-layered and detailed, and the finish has a hot chili edge to it that provides cut with food and keeps the flavors alive a long time. Sensational with the dish.
My first taste from these folks; a very fine beginning. 13.5% alcohol and price unknown; thanks Fitz.
(Oddly, the vintage appears no where on the label; I got it from the website.)

With assorted cheeses:
1989 Lynch Bages:
At a pretty stage in its very long life; not at peak but certainly supple, showy, flavorful, complex and long; has shed all its baby fat and is humming along nicely in its adolescence. 12% alcohol (ah, the good old days), imported by Costello Imports and about $40, on release; I’d buy it again at that price.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Notes, notes, notes

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:17 am

Nino Franco gets another mention. Bravo, this winery rocks with it`s range of Prosecco!!!