The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Jump starting tthe weekend..the good and not so good

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Jump starting tthe weekend..the good and not so good

by Redwinger » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:08 am

A small group of locals assembled to get an early start on ushering out 2006. Here are some impressions of the wines I remember.

1989 Domaine Pontifical CdP
This was just an off bottle. I detected gobs of VA, while another taster thought it to be slightly corked. FLAWED.

2001 Edmunds St. John Wylie-Fenaughty Syrah (El Dorado County)
This was opened (not decanted) approximately 2 hours before the first sip. The nose and palate are very Northern Rhonish to this taster. Meat/game/olives framed by dark rich balckberry fruit. Firm acidity and some tannins remain. I chose this to accompany my entree of roast beef and it was a great food wine.

1999 Bousquet des Papes CdP
Nice ruby color. At first the wine is very tight on the nose and palate. After an hour or so it started to open to reveal aromatics of herbs, meat, and cherry fruit. Medium weight and mouth coating. Very nice now, but I can't help but believe this is a bit shut down needs a few more years to reallystrut its stuff. I found this a bit surprising sinnce most of the 1999s I've had lately were pretty much ready to go. Glad I have more.

1995 Duckhorn Merlot
Very nicely balanced. No sharp edges poke out. An enjoyable wine and I don't often say that about domestic Merlot. At peak, but should hold for at least a few more years. Thanks Rick!

1997 David Arthur Elevation 1147
This is a rich wine with pleny of black cherry notes. Unfortunately, I could not get past the toasty oak and quickly moved on to something else. Not surprisingly, a few of the oakophiles in the crowd declared this their favorite wine of the evening. Go figure!

There were other offerings tasted, but these are the ones I recall before palate fatigue set in.

'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!