The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1977 Musar with Christmas Dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

WTN: 1977 Musar with Christmas Dinner

by Mike B. » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:37 pm

I recently located a bottle of ’77 Musar that my wife and I thought would be perfect for our Christmas dinner of Dijon and rosemary encrusted rack of lamb (I’ve had far too many dry holiday turkeys).

Otto had suggested I decant this for two hours, but I played it safe and opened the bottle five hours before dinner and decanted it off the sediment. The cork had a layer of mould on top, but was otherwise in good condition.

The wine displayed a brilliant red brick colour. I sampled a bit right away to track its evolution. The nose had that funkiness I’ve experienced with other Musars and the wine had a mouthpuckeringly bright acidity. Still, it wasn’t off and it gave exciting hints of the flavours underneath.

I took small sips over the next few hours and it seems I timed it perfectly - by the time dinner was ready the wine was singing. The nose was plummy, with light herbal, tobacco and strawberry notes. The palate was complex, with cloves, cinnamon, cocoa, coffee, and too many other flavours I just don’t yet have the ability to identify. That bright acidity had subsided and all the elements were well integrated.

My wife and I marveled over the Musar and how well it matched the food. One of the best pairings I’ve made, in my opinion.

This vintage was in far better condition than the ’89 I tried a few months back. There are a few more ‘77s left and I’m planning to scoop them up shortly and put them away. Just to think, it’s only a couple of years younger than me (I’m 31). And like me, this vintage still has many years left in it.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: 1977 Musar with Christmas Dinner

by James Roscoe » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:59 pm

Otto is in Africa (Tanzania I believe) visiting his folks. I am sure he will drool all over this post when he returns to Helsinki. Sounds like a great dinner. Very nicely done! :D
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:42 am

Yes, Otto is currently in Zanzibar. I look forward to reading his response.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:42 pm

Herb encrusted lamb is my favourite pairing with red Musar (and older Riojas). Excellent choice of dish you had!

Though I usually love Musars, I must admit that I am a little iffy on the 1977 - or then all the three bottles I've tried have been a bit off. But if you'll bear with me, I'll give a fairly convincing account of why I think the bottles haven't been off, and why this is one of the oddities of tastes.

Serge Hochar thinks the '77 is his greatest wine. When he came to Finland recently, he had chosen this vintage to show what Musar at its best will turn into. Just like the previous two times I've tried the wine, I thought that the nose had a strange cardboard-like note to it, almost, but not quite, like it were corked. But there was such an intensity of fruit that cork just does not seem plausible. Also I have tasted this twice with a friend who is hyper sensitive to cork taint and who loved the two bottles we had and didn't note the cardboard scent. So what could that almost cork-like scent be? I don't know. But though I am usually more into the scent of wines than the taste and will spend hours swirling and sniffing a glass, this is one of the few wines where I like the taste more than the scent.

But that taste! That is one of the most beautiful tastes of all. If I could only tune out that cardboard frequency from the nose, I would agree with Serge Hochar and almost everyone else that this is the greatest Musar ever made. If anyone wants to send me a few bottles to try again, just in case I tried very slightly off bottles, I'll send my address. :)

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:55 pm

Welcome back Otto. I expect some tasting notes soon!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:37 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:If anyone wants to send me a few bottles to try again, just in case I tried very slightly off bottles, I'll send my address. :) -Otto-

But Otto, would you pay the shipping? :)
Bob Henrick