The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open Mike: Coudoulet de Beaucastel!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Open Mike: Coudoulet de Beaucastel!

by Jenise » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:52 pm

I bought this wine on release, and liked it so much for current drinking I went back for more. Then I had a bottle that had shut down tight: it was hard and unyielding, I thought it might need another five years to soften up.

But apparently it's ahead of schedule, here's Tom Noland's recent note on the 2001: "Decanted about 30 minutes before drinking. Medium garnet color fading to a slightly pinkish purple at the edge. A glorious nose of plums, black raspberries, and a hint of raisin pie. Finely grained, smooth tannins on the mid-palate with wonderful plum and raspberry fruit. Excellent balance with a long lingering finish. This wine is reaching its peak drinking enjoyment. I bought two bottles about two years ago and at that time it was tight and quite tannic."

And it dawns on me that I actually know very very little about the wine, as I've never had any vintage but the 2001. Does it normally age well? Might we not expect a vintage like the 2001 to go ten years? I'd be willing to sacrifice one of my 01's to confirm Tom's findings. Anyone else have that vintage or another to offer?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: Open Mike: Coudoulet de Beaucastel!

by Redwinger » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:10 pm

Jenise,
I've never had the 2001 Coudoulet but based on my tasting of the 1999 I had a few months ago Tasting Note Here I would guess these wines will age quite nicely. It was 7 years old and was doing just fine...plenty of life left.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:10 pm

Jenise wrote: Might we not expect a vintage like the 2001 to go ten years? I'd be willing to sacrifice one of my 01's to confirm Tom's findings. Anyone else have that vintage or another to offer?

Jenise, I have one bottle of this wine, purchased about 6 months ago. I'd be very interested to hear what folks have to say about it.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:44 pm

I have three or four bottles but haven't tried any since release. This is (part of) what Parker had to say about it his 2-27-04 issue: "...it can be drunk now and over the next 10-15 years.This beauty may be the finest Coudelet produced in the last 10-12 years."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:25 pm

Jenise wrote:Anyone else have that vintage or another to offer?

Here's my note from a couple of months ago, never published. Not sure why I don't have a label photo. I don't drink enough Coudoulet to have good baseline data, but I would be surprised if it doesn't cellar well.

Coudoulet de Beaucastel 2001 Cotes-du-Rhone ($29.99)

Very dark reddish-purple. Complex and appealing, red plums and cherries and that earthy, not quite barnyardy scent that French wine experts call <i>animaux</i>. Mouth-filling and ripe, juicy fruit and tart acidity, sturdy structure. It makes more sense to view this as a close sibling of Chateauneuf-du-Pape than a very expensive Cotes-du-Rhone. U.S. importer: Vineyard Brands Inc., Birmingham, Ala. (Oct. 29, 2006)

<b>WEBSITE:</B>
Importer site, http://www.vineyardbrands.com

<B>FOOD MATCH</B>
Slow-cooked steak using Chef Michael Schlow's procedure featured in the April 13, 2006 Wine Advisor FoodLetter
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:34 pm

Jenise,

Thomas Perrin was recently in town and we tried the 2003 with him. I recall that he said while they won't go as long as the Beaucastel CdP, the Coudoulet can be set aside for 10 years with no worries.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:09 am

In a decent vintage it will last 10 years or more past the vintage date, and certainly will repay aging for 5 years or more.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:34 am

Well now, you've all convinced me that I need to let these 01's sit a bit longer. No problem, I prefer older wine and I have plenty of other things to drink so, new notice: Open Mike cancelled!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:26 pm

See I am not around and Open Mike cancelled!!!!!!! LOL.

I am having a lovely time in Medicine Hat and have found a cyber cafe in town. Some great wines, especially a De Bortoli P Sirah, no real wine drinkers around here so am having contractions!!!! Lots of riding, great open grasslands here. Bye.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN: '00

by wrcstl » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:26 pm

Jenise wrote:Well now, you've all convinced me that I need to let these 01's sit a bit longer. No problem, I prefer older wine and I have plenty of other things to drink so, new notice: Open Mike cancelled!

Cancelled smancelled, I remembered this Open Mike and cracked a '00 Coudoulet de Beaucastel and it was excellent. It was a beautiful wine and definitely ready to drink with a medium body. Fully integrated, soft and smooth with nice ripe dark fruit and earth flavors. I am sure it is not as big as the '01 and the vintage made it more drinkable but not sorry I opened it. Guess I need to check the web site more often but I was sure Jenise knew what she was doing. :twisted:

If it helps any I probably would not have opened the '01, assuming I had one.

Walt
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: '00

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:11 pm

The 2000 has been open and ready for business since release. As a matter of personal opinion that has been true of most 2000s from the region. It's a lovely drinking vintage. The 2001s have been more structured and most have shut down.
Decisions are made by those who show up