The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: best wine of Christmas weekend

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

WTN: best wine of Christmas weekend

by Tom N. » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:41 pm

Decanted about 30 minutes before drinking. Medium garnet color fading to a slightly pinkish purple at the edge. A glorious nose of plums, black raspberries, and a hint of raisin pie. Finely grained, smooth tannins on the mid-palate with wonderful plum and raspberry fruit. Excellent balance with a long lingering finish. This wine is reaching its peak drinking enjoyment. I bought two bottles about two years ago and at that time it was tight and quite tannic.

Food match: Three cheese (fontina, parmesan, and gorgonzola) pasta with proscuitto, red peppers, shitake mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes. Chef: Betty Noland. Excellent food match :) that enhanced the sweet fruit in the wine.

Wine: 2001 Coudoulet de Beaucastel, Cotes du Rhone. 13.5% abv.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: best wine of Christmas weekend

by Jenise » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:47 pm

Wow, I'm surprised the Coudoulet has evolved that quickly. My last impression was like yours, so I've stayed well clear of these. I think Robin has one in the cellar. Maybe we should Open Mike this one!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

Re: WTN: best wine of Christmas weekend

by Tom N. » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:52 pm

Hi Jenise,

I debated over about 4 different wines before I chose the Coudoulet. I was concerned it would still be closed. But the tannins have seemed to resolved themselves nicely. Even my wife Betty who is more sensitive to rough tannins than I am, thought it was smooth and liked the match with the pasta dish. If Betty thinks it tastes smooth, it is!
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.