The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Amateur

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Arnold

Rank

Just got here

Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:54 am

Wine Amateur

by Jason Arnold » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:15 am

After being a beer drinker for all of my adult life, I have turned my attention on to Wine. I just had this epiphany about a week ago and have tried several wines since. My question is this: What wine would be a great "every day" wine for someone whom is just starting to appreciate it? Any suggestions you all may be able to provide would be very much appreciated.

P.S. Being married with two kids Price is somewhat of a concern.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Wine Amateur

by Ian Sutton » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:43 am

A great everyday drink? ... whatever you try and enjoy!

I know that's a bit flippant, but it really is the best strategy. Do you recall which wines you've tasted recently - and which was the wine(s) that provided that magic realisation? For me the magic wines were Chateau Musar and Penfolds Grange, though my first aged bordeaux was also impressive (albeit I was alreafy 'into' wine by then). Based on what you try and like, it's not too difficult to suggest alternatives. However most people have very wide ranges on wine styles they can enjoy...

For instance in Italy alone I like Barolo, Barbaresco, other Piemontese Nebbiolo, BArbera del Monferrato, Barbera D'Asti, Dolcetto, Moscato D'asti, Prosecco, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Rosso di Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino, Salice Salentino, Puglian Primitivo, Sicilian Nero D'Avola, amongst others. This gives some idea of the range (and that's just one country), in fact tasting widely is one of the most interesting parts of the hobby.

Anyway, let us know what lit the fire for you and I'm sure we could come up with some variations on a theme.

And welcome!

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:01 pm

My best advice -- establish a relationship with a good wine retailer, describe what you like [including the price point you are comfortable with], try their recco, go back and report on your reactions, ask for another recco, try that one, etc.

It's still the single best way to learn about wine.

After a few wines, write notes about those you liked or didn't like, post them here, and folks will chime in with their own reactions.

Welcome to a great hobby.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:23 pm

No different than finding out what beer you like to drink, just more choices. Bob and Ian gave you good advice but it still comes down to you have to find out what you like and don't like. To do that requires tasting.

Wine is just like beer where you can break them down into Ale and lager and then the different styles within the category and then the differences from country of origin and producer. With wine it is Red or white, then grape variety, then country of origin, then producer.

Enjoy.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:11 pm

Jason, thanks for bringing your question to the Wine Lovers Discussion Group--we've all had that 'epiphany' moment and can related to suddenly not just wanting, but NEEDING to know what else will provide that experience. And you will have several epiphanies in your wine-loving life. For me, a Haut Bailly found in a supermarket closeout basket, a Montrachet in Paris, and a sit-down tasting of ten 1990 Burgundy wines (in particular a wine by Leroy) were the three life-changing wines for me. (It never dawned on me until just this second that all three epiphanies were French, no wonder my cellar is mostly French wine!)

Anyway, I'm sure we can make some reccomendations for you if you tell us which wine gave you the experience you speak of, and why it impressed you. Not all wines appeal universally or for the same reasons: this board is crawling with people who spend way too much time thinking about wine, and we don't have the same favorites. Ours won't be yours. But we're all a lot further down the path than you are, and chances are we've drunk the wine that moved you and can easily reccomend others you might also enjoy. So: tell up! What was it?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:01 pm

Jenise wrote: this board is crawling with people who spend way too much time thinking about wine

I didn't know that was possible, Jenise! 8)
no avatar
User

Jason Arnold

Rank

Just got here

Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:54 am

by Jason Arnold » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:03 pm

Thank You all for your suggestions... I do not recall the wine off of the top of my head; however, I do have the bottle at home. Once I get there, I will come back on and let everyone know what it was. Thank You again for the warm welcome and the sound advice.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:11 pm

Jason,

Try lots of different stuff from all over the world. You can do so relatively inexpensively. Very quickly you will figure out what you like. Look for widely available names like Trimbach, Jadot, Kim Crawford, Drouhin, Argyle, Dubroca, Prumm (not so inexpensive anymore), Mondavi, etc., to start. Also, I learned this the hard way; do not buy a large quantity of the first style of wine that you like. Your taste will change with time.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:44 pm

Sam said:
I learned this the hard way; do not buy a large quantity of the first style of wine that you like.

Great advice. I learned it the hard way, and in fact am still learning it to some extent.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:02 pm

Jenise wrote:Sam said:
I learned this the hard way; do not buy a large quantity of the first style of wine that you like.

Great advice. I learned it the hard way, and in fact am still learning it to some extent.

EEK!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:02 am

I am very glad that you found this page, Jason, as it is the best plae to find out about wine short of opening a bottle. My first epiphany was in the mid-1980s with the 1984 Estancia, then a second lable of Franciscan. My last epiphany was with the 1983 Ch. Margaux. I can not wait for the next one. My everyday red is Bogle Merlot. Not only do I enjoy it, but it is less than $8/bottle (cheap enough to put into my tomato sauce), always available at Costco and is very consistent year to year. It took me years to decide on this, yet I'd switch in a New York minute if Bogle fails to maintain standards and another wine meets the same conditions.
Happy New year. JP
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:52 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:EEK!

Yeah, Brian, EEK is right. Your palate will constantly change, although the changes become more slight with time. For instance, my love for Bordeaux only grows, but for a long time I espoused a preference for total black fruit. These days, I'm preferring those that show a healthy dose of red fruit.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:13 pm

Brian Miller wrote:EEK!

That was exactly my reaction when I realized I had purchased more sugary Riesling than I would ever be able, or willing, to drink. I now buy all wine in moderation because I know that in six months my palate will change. Tuscan reds are currently the best wines in the world, but white Bordeaux is rapidly gaining. I'm very angry with Burgundy at present, so it's going to be on my sh*t list for awhile. I don't hold grudges for long though. Burgundy, just say you're sorry and all will be forgiven. :)
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:34 pm

Sam Platt wrote:I'm very angry with Burgundy at present, so it's going to be on my sh*t list for awhile. I don't hold grudges for long though. Burgundy, just say you're sorry and all will be forgiven. :)

Ouch. Burgundy can be a real minefield when it comes to selecting good wine. And any mistakes that you make are bound to be expensive ones. I'm working my way through some very fine Burgundies from the 1990-1998 period that I've cellared. Would you care to share the bad experiences you've had with particular Burgundies of late?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:06 am

Paul Winalski wrote:Would you care to share the bad experiences you've had with particular Burgundies of late?

Paul,
I've definitely had a streak of bad luck with Burgs. First, it was a 1996 Raphet Clos de Vougeot. We had a bottle last year and it was just gorgeous; silky smooth, perfectly balanced, and deligthfully sensual. We couldn't wait to open our other bottle this year. We pulled the cork only to find that it in no way resembled the wine we had last year. This wine was tart, tightly wound and completely unyielding. Despite two hours of coaxing we could get nothing resembling last years wine out of it.

Our second disappointment was with a LaFlaive Meursault from '96. On removing it from the cellar it looked quite discolored in the bottle, so I was worried from the start. My fears were well founded. The wine was heavily oxidized and just abysmal from the outset. It was almost undrinkable. We had the exact same wine two years ago and it was beautiful. Don't know what went wrong with this bottle.

The most recent let down was a 2001 Latour Corton-Charlemagne. The wine was just flabby, limp and weak. I expect a little boldness from a Corton-Charlemagne, but this one just horrifically understated. I don't really see it getting much better with time either. None of the wines was extremely expensive, but the total was over $200 in wine that I didn't care for at all.

Three strikes and Burgundy is out, for awhile. Tuscany and Bordeaux (white) don't seem to be a fickle as Burgundy, so I will lavish them with my attention. Burgundy is a cruel mistress. :)
Sam

no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:33 am

Sam
Some speculation on my part

Sam Platt wrote:Paul,
I've definitely had a streak of bad luck with Burgs. First, it was a 1996 Raphet Clos de Vougeot. We had a bottle last year and it was just gorgeous; silky smooth, perfectly balanced, and deligthfully sensual. We couldn't wait to open our other bottle this year. We pulled the cork only to find that it in no way resembled the wine we had last year. This wine was tart, tightly wound and completely unyielding. Despite two hours of coaxing we could get nothing resembling last years wine out of it.

Could the second bottle have been corked - tartness, unforthcoming, fruitless could be descriptors of cork taint, even when the smell of taint isn't apparent (and I'm very bad at picking up that specific smell)

Sam Platt wrote:Our second disappointment was with a LaFlaive Meursault from '96. On removing it from the cellar it looked quite discolored in the bottle, so I was worried from the start. My fears were well founded. The wine was heavily oxidized and just abysmal from the outset. It was almost undrinkable. We had the exact same wine two years ago and it was beautiful. Don't know what went wrong with this bottle.

I think I know - sounds just like the White Burgundy POx (Premature Oxidisation). 1996 seems to have been the start and a nymber of producers (good and bad) have been hit. Plenty of comment on the web (including e-bob), but as a starting point Toby Bailey at finewinediary.com has written a few words on it. It's a shame as we were looking to branch out into a few more white burgs, but unless they're before 1996 I won't be getting any to lay down. Worth checking colour in the bottles you do have and it's widespread enough for people to start passing the duds back to retailers for refunds.

Sam Platt wrote:The most recent let down was a 2001 Latour Corton-Charlemagne. The wine was just flabby, limp and weak. I expect a little boldness from a Corton-Charlemagne, but this one just horrifically understated. I don't really see it getting much better with time either. None of the wines was extremely expensive, but the total was over $200 in wine that I didn't care for at all.

Three strikes and Burgundy is out, for awhile. Tuscany and Bordeaux (white) don't seem to be a fickle as Burgundy, so I will lavish them with my attention. Burgundy is a cruel mistress. :)

No idea on the latter - flabby yet understated just sounds like a bad wine!

regards

Ian