The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Hitching Post Offline for Santa Barbara Vintner's Festival

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Hitching Post Offline for Santa Barbara Vintner's Festival

by John Tomasso » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:44 am

Visiting SB Wine Festivites Ken Zinns, along with Danny
Tanaka, Jane, and Alan G met up with a few of us locals (Cargasacchi, David Corey and spouse, and myself) at the Hitching Post II last night and popped some corks.

Rochioli 2000 RRV Pinot Noir - overcame some initial bottle stink and showed very well
Alban 99 Grenache - tight and reduced, but we asked for a decanter, and this wine opened up quite nicely by the end of the night, and was one of my favorites of the evening
Siduri 2002 Cargasacchi Pinot Noir - let 'em sleep
Siduri 2002 Gary's Pinot Noir - this wine was showing very well - not going anywhere, but why wait?
Dehlinger 1999 RRV Syrah - Corked
Byron 1999 Nielson Vnyd Santa Maria Valley Pinot Noir - oh boy - was this wine shining. Great aromatics - a whole spice box mingled with bold cherry fruit - made a very strong case for my WOTN
Amadis 1998 Roilan Torra Priorat - also drinking very nicely - wish I would have spent more time with this one - but the wines were coming too fast
A Graillot 1998 Crozes Hermitage - nice balance - elegant - good food wine
La Bastide Blanche - 1993 - Bandol - cuvee Fontanieu - very interesting nose on this wine - love that Mourvedre funk - another favorite of the night for me
Bokisch - 2003 Graciano - Lodi - sorry this one doesn't stick out for me
Melville 01 Pinot Noir Indigene - sent over from another table - this wine was firing on all cylinders - good showing
Barrel School 02 Pinot Noir Santa Cruz - this one must have got by me - don't remember having it
Samsara 02 Syrah - Purisima Mtn - young, very primary, needs time
Vincent Arroyo 02 "Port" - Napa Valley - (from Petit Syrah) unique nose, not too cloying - glad I tried it but not my cup of tea

Fun night - those Bay Area folks really know how to party!

Oh - we also opened an Eno Old Vines Zin that was quite nice - didn't get the particulars off that bottle- vintage, etc