The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 3 '01 Mosels (Selbach-Oster, S.A. Prüm, Kees-Kieren)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

WTN: 3 '01 Mosels (Selbach-Oster, S.A. Prüm, Kees-Kieren)

by geo t. » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:35 pm

2001 Selbach-Oster Bernkastler Badstube Riesling Spatlese Mosel – Saar – Ruwer, 8.5% alc: I lucked into five of these beauties during the summer for little more than a song and a dance; the retailer didn’t know what he had, the bottles had been hanging around and hanging around and he just wanted to get rid of them. We went through four of them over successive months with no notes taken, enjoying every sip, so when I opened the last one recently, I thought it might be a good idea to record some impressions.

Pale straw color, with enticing aromas of moderate petrol, white peach, a little apple and hint of citrus and honey; on the palate there’s more peach and apple, along with that hint of citrus and honey, underscored with a good dose of steely mineral and a little less petrol than the aromatics give at this point. Excellent cut and length, with medium sweetness and great aging potential, but I like these so much, I just can’t keep my hands off of them. I opened one late in the summer with daughter Jessica Rose aka Dolphin Girl, and being the big Riesling lover that she is, she just murmured, “Mmm, yeah…”

This wine is everything a fine Spatlese should be, and will easily develop and improve through its 10th birthday and beyond; too bad I couldn’t save at least one until then. Maybe I’ll luck into a few more, but in the meantime, if you have any of this, don’t be afraid to pair it with some spicy Asian cuisine, or even some pan fried trout, brook, rainbow or otherwise.

A Paul Mann Selection: Imported by L&L Wine World, Royal Oak, MI

2001 S.A. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spatlese Mosel – Saar – Ruwer, $29.99, 8% alc.: Another fine ’01 Mosel Spatlese that I found languishing in another out of the way corner of Day-twah, and one I couldn’t haggle down to a price more favorable to the buyer than the retailer, but no matter, it’s worth the tariff. The descriptors are much the same as for the Selbach-Oster; the pale straw color, the petrol, white peach, honey and steely mineral, with a similar medium sweetness, but less citrus and a decidedly earthy quality, all of which are underscored with just a hint of decaying fruit that does nothing to lessen the appeal. There’s also a little less acidity, a somewhat oily quality, and good length on the finish. I like this wine a lot, although not quite as well as the Selbach-Oster noted above, which seems to be just a little more finely chiseled. Still, it’ll make a fine match for the same foods, and is none too shabby while just sipping and enjoying the music of the Buena Vista Social Club.

Imported by Wein-Bauer, Inc., Franklin Park, IL

2001 Kees-Kieren Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese Mosel – Saar – Ruwer, $19.99, 8% alc.: Based on a sample of this pale gold colored sweetie that I received a while back, I bought up the last two cases in the state for my department, and purchased several for personal consumption at the great close-out price. I shared the second to last one a few weeks ago with Charter Gangster Scott ”the Geek” Tobias, and like me, he was just so impressed with it, calling it “sweet, but not sentimental,” adding that it’s “clean, like a baby is clean.” It’s clean all right, but it’s complex as well, with delicious peach, apricot, honey and petrol in both flavor and aroma. With good acidity, some underlying minerality and a slightly oily texture, it’s still primary, and yet so tasty, with a long, long finish, I wasn’t at all surprised when Scott called it “the best Riesling I’ve ever had.” It’s not the best Riesling I’ve ever had, but it’s certainly one of the best wines of any kind that I’ve had in 2006. I wish I’d brought both cases home, instead of selling most of it to those lucky customers.

A Paul Mann Selection: Imported by L&L Wine World, Royal Oak, MI

- from The Drawing of the Threes

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: 3 '01 Mosels (Selbach-Oster, S.A. Prüm, Kees-Kieren)

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:04 am

Good notes Geo. I'm still mostly holding off on my 2001s, but will be opening them with reckless abandon starting in about 2008. Of course since I am notoriously unable to resist the power of suggestion, I will likely open some this weekend.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:44 am

George,
Don't you just love it when you find bargains and gems languishing on shelves in remote corners of the city? Being originally from NYC, there is something in my blood about not paying full retail if at all possible.
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:48 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Good notes Geo. I'm still mostly holding off on my 2001s, but will be opening them with reckless abandon starting in about 2008. Of course since I am notoriously unable to resist the power of suggestion, I will likely open some this weekend.

Thanks David. I know what you mean about these '01s, but I just couldn't keep my grubby mitts off them. I'd invite myself over this weekend, but it is the holiday season, I have an awful lot of wine to sell, and besides, I don't have a map to get me to Lothlorien...

Give my regards to Galadriel and Celeborn.

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:59 am

Redwinger wrote:George,
Don't you just love it when you find bargains and gems languishing on shelves in remote corners of the city? Being originally from NYC, there is something in my blood about not paying full retail if at all possible.
'Winger

I'm with you, Curly. One of my greatest pleasures is finding gems like these in out-of-the-way places. I still have fond memories of a bunch of '93 Ridge Geezers and Lyttons that I found in my old home town of Bay City, Michigan for their original price (around $19), almost four years after release, which was less than they would have cost almost anywhere else, had they even been available.

Iron Shemp
Nunquam Spuemus