The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Kenneth Volk Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2004 Kenneth Volk Pinot Noir

by Jenise » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:19 pm

2004 Kennth Volk Vineyards Pinot Noir, Santa Maria, California
Ken Volk was the founder of California's venerable Wild Horse Winery, which he sold a few years ago and in turn bought the former Byron property from Constellation when it sold off various Mondavi holdings. Having been a fan of both at various times in my life, I wondered which of the two this new product would resemble. The answer? Neither.
Purple color. Plummy black fruit with white flowers and a white pepper finish. Medium plus body. Very drinkable now but has some tannins to lose. In spite of that it's a disappointment: there's little here that says 'pinot' or 'California'. Where I immediately said "Russian River" the other night when a friend handed me a glass of wine from the previously unknown to me Failla winery, this wine looked--and tasted--more of Oregon. No cherry fruit, no tomato leaf, nothing here that said Santa Maria. Oh, and just for informational purposes: Parker gave this 90 pts.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov