The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Holy Crap, Batman! Bordeaux futures....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Holy Crap, Batman! Bordeaux futures....

by Randy Buckner » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:03 am

I have been sitting around in blissful ignorance, not paying attention to the 2005 Bordeaux futures. I got a large offering in the mail today -- Yikes!

Margaux -- $770 a bottle.
Mouton -- $550 a bottle.
Cheval Blanc -- $700 a bottle.
Angelus -- $245 a bottle.
Pichon Baron -- $120 a bottle.
Pichon Lalande -- $120 a bottle.

This makes the 2004s seem cheap, with Pichon Baron at $55 and Pichon Lalande at $65. I always buy these two wines. Looks like '05 will break that string.

So, anyone lining up for '05 Bordeauxs?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Holy Crap, Batman! Bordeaux futures....

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:57 am

Not really. I did buy some 2005 Rieussec in 375s, but Sauternes have not shot up the same way the reds have. Rieussec is still cheaper than Donnhoff Auslese!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

keith prothero

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:21 am

UK and South Africa

by keith prothero » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:56 am

Have to admit that I have bought quite a few but mainly right bank and 1st growths. Managed to get 6 bottles of Ausone.Will not disclose the price,as my wife may read this!! :lol:
Doubt if they will prove to be good investments,but at least my kids will be happy drinking them in 20 years or so.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:15 pm

I know, awful isn't it? Our long run of great cheap Bordeaux is coming to an end, it seems.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:49 pm

Jenise wrote:Our long run of great cheap Bordeaux .....

Hmmmm. I must have missed that somehow.
-OW
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:28 pm

Oliver, between auctions and sales at Overstreets Wine Merchants in Beverly Hills and Newport Beach, I got pretty lucky. But it seems like many did, because the glut and anti-French sentiment post-9/11 put a lot of great values out there. Sorry they passed you by.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:40 pm

Not many of those bargains made it to Michigan. A few, but most of the "bargains" here were pretty low end wines - none of the top growths. So some "good cheap Bdx" but no "great cheap Bdx" here.
-OW
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:59 pm

Jenise wrote:Oliver, between auctions and sales at Overstreets Wine Merchants in Beverly Hills and Newport Beach, I got pretty lucky. But it seems like many did, because the glut and anti-French sentiment post-9/11 put a lot of great values out there. Sorry they passed you by.

Guess I missed it also. Would argue that there was no glut of good Brodeaux, just cheap French wine that stayed mostly in France. I doubt the anti-French sentiment caused anyone to not buy classified growths, at least with nobody I know. Maybe you just got lucky. The prices are now ridiculous but '00 was equally absurd. You certainly argue that the exchange rate has an effect.
Walt
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:26 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:I have been sitting around in blissful ignorance, not paying attention to the 2005 Bordeaux futures. I got a large offering in the mail today -- Yikes!

Margaux -- $770 a bottle.
Mouton -- $550 a bottle.
Cheval Blanc -- $700 a bottle.
Angelus -- $245 a bottle.
Pichon Baron -- $120 a bottle.
Pichon Lalande -- $120 a bottle.

This makes the 2004s seem cheap, with Pichon Baron at $55 and Pichon Lalande at $65. I always buy these two wines. Looks like '05 will break that string.

So, anyone lining up for '05 Bordeauxs?

Anyone that pays $770 for a bottle of wine has more money than they have sense. There is just too much good juice out there to pay this kind of $. How about 5 cases of '05 Brun VV, 1 1/2 cases of '95 Rancia, 2 cases of '01 Vieux Telegraph or if you want white, over two cases of '05 Huet sec. I blame my parents for my not having money to waste on '05 Bordeaux.
Walt
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:31 pm

I blame my parents for my not having money to waste on '05 Bordeaux

I'd sue 'em.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:34 pm

wrcstl wrote:Anyone that pays $770 for a bottle of wine has more money than they have sense. There is just too much good juice out there to pay this kind of $. How about 5 cases of '05 Brun VV, 1 1/2 cases of '95 Rancia, 2 cases of '01 Vieux Telegraph or if you want white, over two cases of '05 Huet sec. I blame my parents for my not having money to waste on '05 Bordeaux.
Walt

If people have the money to buy that, go ahead. I'll do like Walt and buy cases of other stuff. But I think saying that they have more money than sense isn't quite accurate. They may have both money and sense. Some who attend our tastings are able to buy both the 1st growths and will also buy the Huet. Since they have been successful in their careers and have no financial worries, I see no reason to begrudge them spending it how they wish.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:36 pm

Ausone?! At $1,500 a bottle! No thanks. (I'll help you drink a bottle though :twisted:)
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:41 pm

Our long run of great cheap Bordeaux is coming to an end, it seems.

Yup. Like you, I have managed to get a respectable amount of classifieds for $50 or less. I'm afraid those days are gone. I guess we can sit back and see if there is resistance to the high prices -- they may come down.
no avatar
User

keith prothero

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:21 am

UK and South Africa

by keith prothero » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:32 am

I can almost guarantee that the 6 bottles of Ausone I bought will end up being tasted in offlines in the UK.
When you have wine of this quality,it is far more enjoyable to share with people who appreciate it rather than with relatives and friends who almost certainly,in my case,will not :roll:
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:01 am

I hear you, Keith. Half of the fun of wine is sharing with wine geek friends.
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:21 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:If people have the money to buy that, go ahead. I'll do like Walt and buy cases of other stuff. But I think saying that they have more money than sense isn't quite accurate. They may have both money and sense. Some who attend our tastings are able to buy both the 1st growths and will also buy the Huet. Since they have been successful in their careers and have no financial worries, I see no reason to begrudge them spending it how they wish.
Begrudge, no.

Envy, yes!