The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three Under $20

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Three Under $20

by Florida Jim » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:23 pm

2002 Ogier, La Rosine:
Syrah that spends 14 months in oak, 10% of it new and gets a shot of micro-ox; smells like Crozes-Hermitage with olive, earth, garrique and mixed fruit tones; flavors follow the nose on a velvety textured delivery that is moderately dense and nicely balanced; medium length, well-balanced finish. No hint of reduction and plenty of character; what more could one want for $19 wholesale; imported by Robert Kacher; I’d definitely buy it again.

2002 Brundlmayer, Grüner Veltliner Terrassen:
Honey, white fruit and celery scents; focused flavors follow the nose with a viscous, dense mouth-feel, good balance; very long. Accompanied pasta with asparagus and capers; yum. Imported by Terry Theise and about $8 on sale; I’d buy it again.

With Diane gone for a couple days, I made pasta with caramelized onions and olives and opened a N/V Bodegas Hidalgo, Manzanilla Sherry La Gitana (500ml) that smelled of yeast, melon, nuts and salt air; the flavors followed the nose with a crisp, juicy, dry, delicate delivery that had 15% alcohol and had an endless finish. A really terrific combination and a wine just bursting with flavor. Imported by Classical Wines and about $7; I will buy more the instant I find more.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars