The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Weekend wines..here we go again, what`s planned?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Weekend wines..here we go again, what`s planned?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:42 am

Ravenswood Lodi Zin for my Open Mike and might open Taylors `00 LBV. Last night I was fortunate to taste some champers at a tasting downtown so will post some notes on the higher-end stuff asap, especially a terrific Billicart-Salmon.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Weekend wines..here we go again, what`s planned?

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:08 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Ravenswood Lodi Zin for my Open Mike and might open Taylors `00 LBV. Last night I was fortunate to taste some champers at a tasting downtown so will post some notes on the higher-end stuff asap, especially a terrific Billicart-Salmon.

Hard telling here ... we're hitting the road for a week in Orlando and NYC, so it's going to be kind of catch as catch can. We're set for a big party on Saturday night, though, and there might be some good vino there. Sunday night with my Mom and sister, maybe not. ;)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:58 pm

Other than a bottle of 98 Henriot Brut Milliseme, nothing planned yet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:04 pm

Jenise wrote:Other than a bottle of 98 Henriot Brut Milliseme, nothing planned yet.

What time? :D

I have nothing beyond the Dow ports I'm pouring for a wine store this afternoon. I hope to get into a Haut-Medoc I recently received, but who knows.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:02 pm

Drinking a Bertini Soave as I type. Honey, pear, and a nutmeg like notes. Very interesting and tasty at the $9.00 price point. I would like to drink some Burgundy tomorrow, but I'm too damned scared of the stuff. Perhaps a reliable Trimbach Gerwurztraminer instead?
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:04 pm

Hope you will post notes on the Trimbach, Sam.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:42 pm

Some cheapies from Trader Joes:

2005 Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc,
2004 Caliterra Cabernet Sauvignon,
Errazuiz Panilonco 2005 Carmenere, all from Chile.
Also a 2006 Rhineflur Riesling.

All were 3.99, except the Riesling, which was 2.99.

What can I say - I felt like splurging. :roll:
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:50 pm

Jenise wrote:Other than a bottle of 98 Henriot Brut Milliseme, nothing planned yet.

Tasted the `98 at the champers tasting last night, same wine!!!! Needs time Jenise , has great potential however. All in the room were impressed but the `95 Bolly RD Extra Brut was voted #1.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:38 am

Went up to the next major town on the freeway (Davis, CA) and visited one of my favorite wine bars. They had an intriguing flight of reds, including a dark rich, and smooth Tempranillo (yum) and a New Zealand Pinot Noir (meh. I prefer Burgundy and Oregon and some Californians, frankly).

I know you experienced Bordeaux heads might consider this sacriledge, but the definite highlight of the flight was a 2003 Bordeaux. Chateaux Lynches-Bages. Absolutely beautiful. It may refelct my lack of experience, but I still loved this wine. We agreed in disucssing it that this is not a long term keeper, but it is smooth and delicious right now.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:59 am

I would like to drink some Burgundy tomorrow, but I'm too damned scared of the stuff.

Does that mean you have stuff in your collection that you're afraid to drink? Which wines?

Or you're afraid to purchase?

Personally I'm going to the wine shop tomorrow on the way to a dinner that a few friends are cooking to celebrate the end of the semester. And, of course my goal will be to pick up an affordable Burgundy that will be drinking well, but I'll probably be swayed otherwise..

And of course it is also the ESJ Open House beforehand, so I might be a tad tipsy..
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:20 pm

WFW (wine free weekend) as a preservation measure before the memorial dinner for thirteen I'm cooking for, Monday evening, in honour of dear friend, father and husband, the late Tom Low. :(

Should be some great wines worth reporting on, thereafter.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:38 pm

Oh nothing special...wife's birthday (of significance) yesterday, but we both had to work late, so tonight it's Moet & Chandon Les Sarments d'Ay NV Champagne Grand Cru, '63 Fonseca Vintage Port and '95 Egon Muller Scharzhofberger Riesling Kabinett to name a few. We're celebrating with Thor and Theresa Iverson, so it could get really over-the-top. :D
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:22 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Sam Platt wrote:I would like to drink some Burgundy tomorrow, but I'm too damned scared of the stuff.

Does that mean you have stuff in your collection that you're afraid to drink? Which wines?

Or you're afraid to purchase?

Rahsaan,

I'm afraid of the stuff in my collection. I have some 2002 D'Angerville Volnay Clos des Ducs , '98 thru '03 Jadot Clos des Ursules, a 1998 Santenay, '00 and '01 Gevry-Chambertin, '02 Jadot Fixin, '02 Savigny-Les-Beaunes, plus some '96 and '01 GC's from Dujac and Raphet that I'm not even thinking about touching yet. Your advice would be appreciated.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:07 pm

I'm no expert, but depending on the exact wine 98 and 00 are certainly prime candidates for drinking now?
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:11 am

Last night saw grape soda wine in the shape of Barbadillo "Laura" Muscatel, tonight was a vast improvement with Dios Baco Oloroso.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:50 am

Tried a couple of nice wines today at a wine shop (Enoteca) on the Square in Sonoma. Great place!

Elyse Wild Horse Valley (east of Napa City) Pinot Noir: Delicious dark fruits and earthy. Like a good Oregon Pinot (or even like the limited range of Burgundies I've tried). Delicious. I bought a bottle. I don't like Carneros Pinot Noirs, but I liked this one, which is the winery's first Pinot.

Wild Hog Vineyard Sonoma Coast Zinfandel. Another delicious wine. Not a jammy, sweet fruit bomb at all. Nice zinberry with some caramel notes (from the oak?), which I mind less in Zins. Quite light and balanced, with good acids. Delicious!

At a winery: Madonna Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 Reserve. Rutherford grapes were sourced for this wine, so it's not as green as their merlot or Estate cab (Madonna Estate is in a chilly part of Napa County-Carneros). Still, much lighter and more "herbal" than the "typical" Rutherford Cab. The Estate Merlot was really, really green and herbal. I actually like that quality a lot (as long as the dreaded raw bell pepper doesn't appear-I hate THAT), but reviewers sure don't.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach