The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Martini "Napa Valley" Cabernet Sauvignon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

WTN: 2003 Martini "Napa Valley" Cabernet Sauvignon

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:29 pm

I remember reading that 03 was a roller coaster year for Cal Cabs. Unfortunately, this wine (one of our favorite producers) must have ended the year on the downside.

Grapey nose w/ lots of dill. Oakier than any Martini I’ve had to date. On the palate its flabby, unstructured and missing any sort of tannins or acidity. Down the drain with this one. Couldn’t even finish the wine in our glasses. Too bad.

Richard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2003 Martini "Napa Valley" Cabernet Sauvignon

by Jenise » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:27 pm

Gallo now owns Martini and even though there's supposedly someone named Martini making the wines, these aren't the wines old Louie made. Lots of oak, sweet, low acid...might be time to give up on them, Richard.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:32 pm

Jenise,

Aaah...the plot thickens. Oddly enough, Dina commented that the wine reminded her of a $6.00 Gallo Cab rather than a Martini wine. At the time, we laughed it off and attributed it to the vintage.

Richard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:49 pm

Dina commented that the wine reminded her of a $6.00 Gallo Cab

She nailed it! It's a definite change in style, and not for the better. Too bad, because Martini was somewhat unique at being Martini. Now they're just like every other cheap bimbo wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov