The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: WHAT A THRILL!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN WHAT A THRILL!!

by Howie Hart » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:20 am

Ice wines are made from sound, very late harvest grapes, that are picked and pressed while still frozen. Since it is the water in the grapes that freezes, everything else is concentrated, including the sugar and acid, both of which kind of act like anti-freeze. Sauternes and TBA, on the other hand, are made from late harvest grapes that become infected with botrytis, a type of rot, known as "Noble Rot". This rot dries up the grape berries, almost like raisins, and actually consumes some of the acid in the grapes and changes the flavor of the juice, making it less fruity. Cool, moist evenings with morning fog and condensation on the grapes help the botrytis to spread. Some varieties are resistant to botrytis, such as Vidal. Botrytis is a bad thing in grapes that are to be used for normal table wines, such as Pinot Noir.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:43 am

AaronW. wrote:Have you ever tried Sauternes? I haven't yet. I'm just curious how it compares to icewine on the prestigous-dessert-wine level or is it pretty much a categoty all it's own?

With the caveat that I'm not particularly a fancier of sweet wines (except for Port and Madeira), I find Sauternes much more complex than ice wines, which are slurpy and delicious but seem to be a little bit more one-dimensional to my taste buds. (I'm talking about Canadian and U.S. ice wines here ... I have very little experience with German.)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:34 am

Needless to say with all the cold snowy weather in BC, they are picking for the icewines right now. Lots of TV coverage, have not picked this early in years.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:44 am

Not even close in the Niagara Peninsula yet. Temps this week have been +10 to +20 C, or 50-68F. Supposed to get colder by the weekend, but not quite cold enough to pick ice wine grapes.
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:24 pm

In searching for new icewine experiences I came accross one of Inniskillin's
100% Vidal that is "Oak Aged". I didn't buy a bottle yet; I need some forumite input here. Has anyone ever tried an "oaked" icewine? And what were the primary or, most notable effects?
"Wine can of their wits the wise beguile;
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile."

- Homer 900 B.C.
no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

by Dave Moritz » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:17 pm

Robin:

I am a fancier of sweet wines, and I agree with your assessment.

Now to confuse or clarify things a bit here regarding naturally frozen grapes vs. artificially frozen grapes. I seem to recall that in the U.S. (or somewhere in the world!), the term "icewine" would be used on the label of a bottle of wine derived from the naturally frozen berries, while the term "ice wine" (two words) would be used on the artificially frozen version. Has anyone else heard of this? Or, perhaps I just conjured this up on my own?

Dave Mo
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:27 am

AaronW. wrote:In searching for new icewine experiences I came accross one of Inniskillin's
100% Vidal that is "Oak Aged". I didn't buy a bottle yet; I need some forumite input here. Has anyone ever tried an "oaked" icewine? And what were the primary or, most notable effects?

Aaron - I have no experience with oak aged Vidal icewine. However, I believe some German TBAs and Sauternes are oak aged. Several years ago I made some Vidal and did an experiment by putting it through malo-lactic fermentation, aging it on oak and finishing it bone dry. I rather enjoyed it, but when I entered it in the New York State Fair they threw it out because it "lacked varietal character". Well no kidding!
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Dave Moritz wrote:Robin:

I am a fancier of sweet wines, and I agree with your assessment.

Now to confuse or clarify things a bit here regarding naturally frozen grapes vs. artificially frozen grapes. I seem to recall that in the U.S. (or somewhere in the world!), the term "icewine" would be used on the label of a bottle of wine derived from the naturally frozen berries, while the term "ice wine" (two words) would be used on the artificially frozen version. Has anyone else heard of this? Or, perhaps I just conjured this up on my own?

Dave Mo

Hello Dave,
Washington Winery - Chateau St. Michelle Made some Ice Wine the real way as you'll read in earlier posts of this particular thread, and I believe they refer to it as "ice wine". However, Bonny Doon Vineyards has a Muscat ice wine thats done the artificial way you referred to- it's a process called cryo-extraction (see- http://www.thewinedoctor.com/glossary/c.shtml), but they call it "Vin de Glaciere" (meaning "wine of ice" in french). Also check out the link below for even more info. Hope this has helped.
http://www.themediadrome.com/content/ar ... e_wine.htm
"Wine can of their wits the wise beguile;
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile."

- Homer 900 B.C.
Previous