The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

My evening with Ricardo Tedeschi!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

My evening with Ricardo Tedeschi!!!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:17 am

Yup, was invited at the last minute to meet and taste some great wines imported by Liquid Art Fine Wines ( no connection). Guest speaker was Ricardo Tedeschi who was in Portland, Vancouver and Edmonton over a 2 day period. He said that Portland is a very good market for Italian wines!!

I will of course post some notes asap but amongst the ten or so wines tasted were the following...............

`03 Tedeschi La Fabrisiera IGT.
`01 Tedeschi Amarone.
`01 Tedeschi Amarone Monte Olmi.

I have to say that in my limited experience, I have never tasted an Amarone like the last one!
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: My evening with Ricardo Tedeschi!!!

by John S » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:42 am

Do you mean that is a good or bad way?! :wink:

I've had the Monte Olmi a couple of times, and have been very impressed both times. But it seems so very young now. I have a bottle left, and will wait 5+ years to do it justice.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:57 am

WTN: `03 La Fabriseria IGT, Veneto.

Classic mixture of 4 varietals for this Valpol. plus 3% cab sauv. Nose was tad closed, creamy texture, lots of red fruits. Violets, spicy and savoury.
Hint of chocolate with the ripe tannins. Cost $42 Cdn.

WTN: `01 Amarone della Valpolicella.

Tastes sweet, raisiny, not bitter and good tannins. "One month in tank before it starts to ferment" said RT. Ruby-red colour, vanilla, currants, blueberry, cherry. It`s all there folks. $47 Cdn. Owner of store says this is most popular Amarone on the shelves, flies out all he time!!

WTN: `01 Amarone della Valpolicella "Monte Olmi".

Small parcel of land on hillside. Has a great reputation, I have never tasted a wine like this, amazing!! Deep colour, red fruits, chocolate, spice. This is raisiny, hint of bitterness one expects. Full power body here, how long would one cellar this one?? $73 Cdn.

Interesting insights from Ricardo, not an "international" style winemaker. So many stories and insights from him, I could go on.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:35 pm

Lucky you. I found an 00 San Rocco from Tedeschi last week here in town, an orphan shoved to the back of a shelf and hidden from general view, that I was thrilled to bring home, but only to find it corked. WAAAAA! Too bad, there was obviously a very very good wine under that wet cardboard, a wine in that perfect state between youthful fruit and secondary development that I find so beguiling.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Oslo

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:53 pm

Monte Olmi IMO belongs to the elite of amarones. I tasted several wines with Tedeschi some years ago. I am sorry, but the notes seems to have get lost. A couple of years ago I had a bottle of the Monte Olmi '70, which I believe was the first vintage made from the cru. It was good, but a little too old.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:34 pm

Jenise wrote:Lucky you. I found an 00 San Rocco from Tedeschi last week here in town, an orphan shoved to the back of a shelf and hidden from general view, that I was thrilled to bring home, but only to find it corked. WAAAAA! Too bad, there was obviously a very very good wine under that wet cardboard, a wine in that perfect state between youthful fruit and secondary development that I find so beguiling.

The Rocco was served to but I missed out as I was helping in the back area, tidying up.

Arnt, I am not sure how long to age these beauties. 10 yrs?
no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Oslo

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:50 am

Sorry for the late reply. Have been so busy all weekend making dinners and have been away from the PC.

For me I think amarone is a type of wine that can be drunk the time you want it. Unlike many other wines it is not a crime to open an amarone young. It will have less complexity, but be very open and have more fruit-intensity. With time it do exchange some of that intensity with a leathery and wet forest-floor complexity. With long aging it can even be quite elegant. So it depends on which style you prefer. Personally I would wait until it is 10-15 years old.