The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Dubeouf non-flower labels

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Dubeouf non-flower labels

by Bob Henrick » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:53 pm

I have by passed the Dubeouf Beaujolis for many years now, but with the 2005 vintage I am seeing different wines. These Cru Beaujolis are designated wines. They seem to carry either a winemakers name, or a domaine name or vineyard name. It used to be that the flower label was all that was available here in Lexington, but no more. Given this, plus the fact that I have heard that Dubeouf has changed yeasts, I am tempted to try a few of the 2005's. Of course the reputation of the 2005 beaujolais is interesting also. Does anyone here have an insight as to the new (to me) labels?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Dubeouf non-flower labels

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:26 pm

Have not seen these new labels up here Bob H, but then we are usually behind the times!!!!!! Out and about tomorrow, will check before heading 45 mins north to look for Great Grays and Hawk Owls.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:47 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Have not seen these new labels up here Bob H, but then we are usually behind the times!!!!!! Out and about tomorrow, will check before heading 45 mins north to look for Great Grays and Hawk Owls.

45 minutes north of you Bob...that must really be in the boonies! :-) In a way Bob, I envy you the exercise in the chill of a November morning. How long will the trip last?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:16 am

Over here these winegrower designated labels have always been available but are rarely stocked by retail wine shops (flower labels only). To get them, I go to the importer.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:49 am

Bob Henrick wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Have not seen these new labels up here Bob H, but then we are usually behind the times!!!!!! Out and about tomorrow, will check before heading 45 mins north to look for Great Grays and Hawk Owls.

45 minutes north of you Bob...that must really be in the boonies! :-) In a way Bob, I envy you the exercise in the chill of a November morning. How long will the trip last?

In this particular area, the Grays will sit by the side of the road just before dusk, around 4.30 ish. The Hawk Owls are easier to spot all day, sitting right on the top of spruce trees.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:59 am

Thanks for the information Tim. Not that it makes a lot of difference, but the shelf talkers all show ratings of 90-92 for these wines. I used to think I didn't care for gamay wines based on (mostly) the flower labels. Then I had a chance to taste the ESJ gamay noir, and a reserve gamay noir from Chateau Grand Traverse (Michigan) and loved them both. I think there is about 5 different of these wine on the shelves locally and I will try all of them.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:09 am

Bob, FWIW - I'll be openeing a 2001 Dubeouf Jean DesCombes Morgon for Thanksgiving - no flowers on the label. 8)
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:59 am

I've had a number of them (the "Bachelards" Fleurie, the "Descombes" Morgon, a coupla others) over the last few years, Bob. The ones I've had are clearly a step up from the flower labels, and IMO decent value in the $12 - $14 range. But I somehow doubt they'd make Florida Jim's "buy again" list.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:07 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Does anyone here have an insight as to the new (to me) labels?

Bob, they're definitely a step up from the Duboeuf basics, but at that price, I'd pass on anything from the mass-market King of Beaujolais in favor of a nice box full of J-P Brun's various Beaujolais from Chambers Street, which will give you a lot more bang for about the same number of bucks.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:50 am

I had a couple bottles of the 2006 Morgon Descombes V.V. last summer and enjoyed them. I felt they were well worth the $12-$13 price tag.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Bob,

I recently purchased a case of the " 2005 Domaine des Quatre Vents Fleurie"....a Deboef non-flowered label. Very nice Cru Beaujolias. I'm taking a couple of bottles over to friends for Thanksgiving dinner.

Dina and I are really enjoying the rest by itself or with various meals.

Richard
no avatar
User

RandallR

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:19 pm

Seattle

by RandallR » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:19 pm

My only experience with the Deboeuf Flower labeled bottles was with simple Beaujolais and nouveau.
On a gamble I picked up a few bottles of Deboeuf Cru (Moulin-a-Vent) which also happen to have flowers on the label. Haven't tried one yet. Is the consensus that I shoulda thought twice? The price was pretty sweet, I'll say.

I second the Quatre Vents Fleurie. The bottle I tried was quite good.