The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pouring the (yikes!) '06 Nouveau

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

WTN: Pouring the (yikes!) '06 Nouveau

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:35 pm

I poured wine last night at the annual Beaujolais Nouveau fund-raiser put on by our local Alliance Francais. I know that for many of us here, the Nouveau are wines best for "laying down and avoiding", but I was pleasantly surprised by this year's bottlings (particularly after the God-awful ones we had last year).

The four wines served were by Drouhin, Duboeuf, Bouchard, and Fessy. All of the wines were pleasant to drink, without any raging fruitiness, banana, etc. The consensus WOTN was the Bouchard. This wine was surprisingly balanced and actually a bit complex, with good acidity and a finish that showed some length. The leftover bottles of the Bouchard were very quickly snagged.

Of the remaining three, the Drouhin and Duboeuf had the most overt fruit, with the Duboeuf leading. I felt the Drouhin had a bubble-gum character to it that put me off, but I think it was the overall second favorite of the evening. But although these were the kind of simple quaffers one expects, they were not obnoxious. The Fessy finished in last place. It was a bit dull for a Nouveau, without either the slight classiness of the Bouchard or the easy fruity fun of the other two.

As an aside, I had a blast pouring. It was fun to be able to answer people's questions ("So do they grow Boojoelay in California?" and such). There was tasty food and a pretty decent local musician. Only downside was when people spoke to me in French and expected an answer in kind. Great fun!

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN: Pouring the (yikes!) '06 Nouveau

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:26 pm

Mike Filigenzi (Sacto) wrote:the Drouhin had a bubble-gum character to it that put me off

We pulled cork on the Drouhin last night, Mike. I chose it as my one Nouveau of the year, choosing it over the Duboeuf in hope that it might be a better wine. I concur in your description, although I labeled it "banana and artificial strawberry."

I did hold it to a pretty strict standard, opening a Beaujolais threesome for Mary and me and guests: Drouhin '06 Nouveau, Chermette 2004 "Domaines de Vissoux" Cuvee Traditionelle Beaujolais Vieilles Vignes (very, very horsey and bretty but with nice Gamay fruit), and Brun 2005 Cote-du-Brouilly (yummy yummy yummy, I've got Brun in my tummy). Even with the horsey handicap on the Vissoux, the Drouhin was a distant third for me, although those who dislike "barnyard" might have reversed those two positions.

They all went surprisingly well with a simple Italian-American dish of baked manicotti with spinach and parsley in the cheese.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:55 pm

I can see how it would have finished third in such company.

I was surprised at how well the Drouhin was received at the event, though. Either others were not as put off by the odd flavors as I was or they weren't picking up on it as much.

Mike

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:56 pm

Mike Filigenzi (Sacto) wrote:I can see how it would have finished third in such company.

I was surprised at how well the Drouhin was received at the event, though. Either others were not as put off by the odd flavors as I was or they weren't picking up on it as much.

Mike

Chaps, was the Drouhin the normal Nouveau or the Villages Nouveau? We've got the Village Nouveau here and I've heard such good reports on it from people who are skeptical of the whole thing that I'm curious to try it! I don't think I've ever actually had Nouveau so I should "educate" myself, lol!! :)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:07 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Chaps, was the Drouhin the normal Nouveau or the Villages Nouveau?

Otto, mine was just the plain BN, no V. I expect we get both bottlings here, but that's the one I grabbed from the shelf. It wasn't entirely cheap, either: US$11.99.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:44 pm

My experience with the Drouhin BN is that it always has that tutti fruity bubble gum flavor.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:03 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
Mike Filigenzi (Sacto) wrote:I can see how it would have finished third in such company.

Mike

Chaps, was the Drouhin the normal Nouveau or the Villages Nouveau? We've got the Village Nouveau here and I've heard such good reports on it from people who are skeptical of the whole thing that I'm curious to try it! I don't think I've ever actually had Nouveau so I should "educate" myself, lol!! :)

Regular Nouveau here, as well. I think the Fessy might have been designated a Village wine, but I'm not positive on that.

Mike

- Julia Child