The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

An Outing To San Francisco For My Birthday

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

An Outing To San Francisco For My Birthday

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:04 pm

I know I don't look a day over 53, but yesterday was my 54th birthday. Zari planned a little outing to San Francisco the results of which can easily be duplicated in your own vacation laboratories.

I got back from six days in Dallas at about 1:00 p.m. on Friday and by 4:00 p.m. we were in the car heading for the Stanford Court on the corner of Powell and California. It never ceases to amaze me that, the more expensive a hotel is, the fewer gratis in-room amenities they offer. I do quite a bit of Holiday Inn Express and find everything one needs from breakfast to a mircowave and a fridge in every room. The moment I step up a class, I need to start digging into my pocket. Guess I'm just cheap. In any event, we get the employee discount at the Marriott so the pain was mild ... except for the $41.00 we had to pay to park at the hotel.

We dropped off our things and walked about 15 minutes up Powell to Green where we turned into the Club Fugazi to view Beach Blanket Babylon. If you like musicals with a lot of outrageous costumes, then this is the show for you. I don't like musicals, but I had a hoot all the same, especially when the Village People imitators started singing Matzo Man to further Snow White's quest for her prince. Their open wine choices were Round Hill, Round Hill, and Round Hill, so I went for the Merlot and, for the first time in a long time, sipped my wine from a plastic cup. They also had splits of '98 Dom Pérignon for $190.00 a pop and that came with your own flute. Glass didn't seem that important to me.

We then wandered around North Beach and had some Italian pastry. I didn't note the name of the little cafe, but we had sfogliatelle, a.k.a. "svoo-ya-deal," reminiscent of the good stuff back home in New Jersey. Their anisette cookies were wonderful, too.

Back in the room, we opened up a bottle of '03 ESJ Rocks and Gravel.

This morning we drove on over to the Cliff House for breakfast in The Bistro. Even though it is a tourist joint, it is quite nice. The food isn't bad. The prices are actually reasonable. The views of the Pacific are magnificent. We decided we needed to walk off the meal so we hiked along the nearby Coastal Trail. They have really renovated this area which is located up behind the Sutro Baths (Land's End). You can walk along the heights bordering the southern shore of the Golden Gate and, if you have it in you, get all the way to the Golden Gate Bridge. The Marin Headlands and the bridge are always in view. We exited at El Camino Del Mar and walked around mansions which make you wonder where you went wrong in life and then sat down for a while at China Beach before returning to the car and home.

Young lovers, wherever you are, this is something for you!
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

Re: An Outing To San Francisco For My Birthday

by Paulo in Philly » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:44 pm

Buon compleanno, Garibaldo!! :P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:00 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:I know I don't look a day over 53, but yesterday was my 54th birthday.

Happy birthday, Gary! Sounds like you celebrated it well. :)
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:32 pm

Cuz!
Belated happy birthday! You should have mentioned it in chat on Sunday, I'm sure the gang could have put enough sound effects together to make a reasonable facsimile of the birthday song.
I'm glad you had a charming companion with whom to celebrate the day!

Is it too late to spank you? :lol:
All the best...
JuliaB
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:48 pm

JuliaB wrote:Cuz!
Belated happy birthday! You should have mentioned it in chat on Sunday, I'm sure the gang could have put enough sound effects together to make a reasonable facsimile of the birthday song.
I'm glad you had a charming companion with whom to celebrate the day!

Is it too late to spank you? :lol:
All the best...
JuliaB

My spanker is yours to spank, as always! Thank you and Robin and Paulo for the birthday wishes. And the way them there sound effects were flying, Lord knows what might have emanated from out of erudite little group.

For illustration, a shot of charming companion and me. She makes me look like a real cradle-robber!!! :roll:

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:46 am

Wow, that sounds like a great weekend! I've yet to get to San Francisco.

Happy Birthday.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:32 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Wow, that sounds like a great weekend! I've yet to get to San Francisco.

Happy Birthday.

Thank you for your kind wishes, Cynthia. If you ever do get out here, do look us up.