The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Robin's Chicken?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Robin's Chicken?

by Howie Hart » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:49 pm

In yesterday's email I received the monthly newsletter from my son's Army unit in Mosul, Iraq, which had the following picture and caption. Now we know what happened to Robin's chicken. :D

Showing Off for the Americans
Charger Company recently conducted a “Lion’s Hunt,” an offensive joint operation to capture high-profile insurgents, in the southeastern corner of Mosul. While Charger elements were securing the perimeter, a local boy came over to proudly show off his chicken. While it’s not clear if it was a beloved pet or Sunday dinner, the boy nevertheless made sure that we knew he had the coolest rooster on the block.
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

Re: Robin's Chicken?

by DebA » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:13 pm

I'm late to the inside poultry joke, Howie, but please convey this U.S. citizen's deep appreciation for the commitment and sacrifice your son and your family are making in the defense of our country, and those who are in need of defenders, when you next communicate with him. I hope he comes home soon and safe to all of you. IMHO, no matter what one's views on any military action, those who stand bravely in our stead in an effort to serve and protect always deserve our respect and gratitude. Thank you.
Last edited by DebA on Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:17 pm

Good on the boy and good on the unit for making him feel a star.

I was told by an old work colleague (who served out there in the early days of this conflict) a more disappointing story. He was riding in a convoy (mixed British and US) and was horrified to see one of the US soldiers shoot a cow in a field just for a laugh. The difference between these actions shows the difference between success and failure IMO.

Your sons unit seem to have the right idea Howie, good on them!

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

by DebA » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:I was told by an old work colleague (who served out there in the early days of this conflict) a more disappointing story. He was riding in a convoy (mixed British and US) and was horrified to see one of the US soldiers shoot a cow in a field just for a laugh. The difference between these actions shows the difference between success and failure IMO.

I couldn't agree with you more, Ian. Actions do make all the difference and the actions your friend witnessed are not the actions of an individual sent to "serve and protect," much less representative of the courage and good will of any nation. :cool:
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:27 pm

DebA wrote:I'm late to the inside poultry joke, Howie.....

This is a reference to Robin's avatar in the Netscape Forum, which was preceded by a similar picture of Robin from one of his trips to France.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:35 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:...and was horrified to see one of the US soldiers shoot a cow in a field just for a laugh. The difference between these actions shows the difference between success and failure IMO....

I recall riding in a convoy through a village in Vietnam. The villagers were lined up by the side of the road hoping we would toss them gifts (food items, candy bars, etc.) from our transport trucks as we passed by. Some a$$hole in the truck ahead of mine threw a can of C-Rations as hard as he could and hit a young boy in the head. We never stopped, so I don't know how badly he was hurt. :evil:
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:39 pm

Thanks for your comments. I think I may forward a link to your posts to the person who writes the newsletter. :wink:
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:22 pm

The rooster had better legs as well....