The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Chinon is a charming place

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: Chinon is a charming place

by David Creighton » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:07 am

may be renting a place near there in january. any suggestions? thanks in advance.
david creighton
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:43 am

I stayed around Chinon for 4 days this summer, and agree, it's a lovely little spot to stay. We stayed in a gite just outside of town, next to vines - lovely and quiet, and only 10 minutes to town. It was in between Savennieres and Vouvray, and close to a couple nice castles, so it made a nice, central spot to stay.

The best meal we had there was at 30 Annees; 3 or 4 course menu with lovely flavours for a very nice price (around 28 Euros, I think, for the basic menu?). Nice room too, and a reasonable regional wine list. It's right on the ancient, main street. There was supposedly a good restaurant right on the main (newer) road in town, whose name I can't remember now, that was supposed to be the best place in town (on the west side of town). On Sunday, when almost everything else is closed, the pizza place just down the road from 30 Annees (towards the town centre) made a surprisingly good pizza!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:10 pm

Thanks, Randy!

It's very nice to be touring Europe vicariously this week thanks to you and Paulo. :)
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:38 pm

I'll dig these pictures up when I'm into the 17th century. Who knew Rabelais lived in the Loire? I assumed he was a Parisian.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:06 pm

Randy R wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:I'll dig these pictures up when I'm into the 17th century. Who knew Rabelais lived in the Loire? I assumed he was a Parisian.

Erm.....

Although the place (or date) of his birth are not reliably documented, it is probable that François Rabelais was born in 1494 near Chinon, Indre-et-Loire,

From the wikipedia.

All right the 16th Century! I thought he was a century lateer. He was always ahead of his time.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:41 am

Randy R wrote:
Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Thanks, Randy!

It's very nice to be touring Europe vicariously this week thanks to you and Paulo. :)

Paulo's photos are a lot better than mine, but my preserves were better I'll bet :)

Forgot to mention that in spite of the advice I give above about warm clothes, it was a very nice temperature down there today and Paris was nearly 16° and sunny when we returned.

Lovely pictures, Randy! They are almost as beautiful as mine!!! :wink:
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:37 pm

Randy R wrote:
Paulo in Philly wrote:Lovely pictures, Randy! They are almost as beautiful as mine!!! :wink:
No, yours are better! Really. Si, si.
But, since we're talking about wine travel in the wine travel section of the WineLoversPage.com forums, you should give us a call on Tuesday at 1PM Paulo and sing to us about your recent trip!

I certainly certainly will, Randy - I have added it to my calendar; luckily I have that hour free. Count me in! 8)