The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Château Bouscassé Madiran (AOC)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2000 Château Bouscassé Madiran (AOC)

by Paul B. » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:22 pm

Madiran is one of my all-time favourite reds and my favourite region for French reds. Opened this one to enjoy alongside the herbed leg of lamb roast that I prepared for supper.

13.5% alc. Very dark, saturated garnet with a ruby-black hue; only partially translucent. Deep and brooding appearance with slow, deliberate legs that drop ponderously with every swirl. Reticent medicinal-black-cherries, licorice, raw meat and violets on the nose. Big, prickly acidity coupled with fierce tannins and tons of grip. The Vintages write-up wasn't kidding to indicate that this was a wine to lay down (generally I buy the ones that are supposed to be laid down as an indicator of gutsiness; I rarely age these beauties). Fierce and grippy with a very slight hint of bitterness, this is a truly superb red. Fine-quality oak makes itself known only between the mid- and aft-palate; there is no overt woodiness to the nose. Fantastically - beautifully, properly - dry; drying, grippy tannins on the finish.

If you like to give tannic reds some time to evolve, you could set this wine aside at least a decade and you'd likely find a smoother, more velvety red with plenty of integration. I love its youthful grittiness. This was $18.95 at Vintages.
Last edited by Paul B. on Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: TN: 2000 Château Bouscassé Madiran (AOC)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:43 pm

Now you`re talking Paul B!! I recently tasted the `01 at a local wine store. Great wine and there is a reserve too!
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:02 am

Thanks! I'm going to say again what I say about many things (Alsace included): Madiran rocks!

But I disagree when you say "If you like to give tannic reds some time to evolve, you could set this wine aside at least a decade and you'd likely find a smoother, more velvety red with plenty of integration. I love its youthful grittiness." This just doesn't seem to happen with Madirans. Granted, I have rather small experience with older examples and nothing older than 1990 but 10 years doesn't really soften these. They don't (at least in 15 years with a good producer) lose that lovely grittiness. Granted the tannins do soften a bit - not much, mind you, but the wine as a whole does not. Have you tried an aged Bouscassé like a 1991? They're great now and not soft. You'd like them, I think.

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:59 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:and there is a reserve too!

Interesting, Bob ... I wonder if it's even gutsier, or whether it has more oak?
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:01 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Have you tried an aged Bouscassé like a 1991? They're great now and not soft. You'd like them, I think.

Haven't seen any older ones, Otto. Personally I enjoyed this one a great deal and for a mere $19 it's a great wine to lay down - if not for the expectation of it softening, then for its near-indestructability alone! Madiran gives us great ageworthiness at a fraction of the price of Bordeaux, which is where I used to think one had to look for fierce tannins.
no avatar
User

Jeff in Halifax

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:16 pm

Halifax Nova Scotia

Madiran....

by Jeff in Halifax » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:29 pm

Just picked up a couple bottles of Montus in Montreal last week. The 2001. Now maybe I will be able to drink it by 2020? :wink:
You should care about what you drink - you do put it in your mouth, don't you?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:53 am

Hey Jeff, how are things in Halifax!! Had some pretty good snow storms this winter eh.
no avatar
User

Jeff in Halifax

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:16 pm

Halifax Nova Scotia

Winter? What winter?

by Jeff in Halifax » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:47 am

No snow to speak of. Snowmobilers all bummed, trading in on ATV's. Some golf courses stayed open all year round.

The grape growers are rubbing their hand together with all the vinifera survival, particularly the Pinot Noir in the Lahave Valley Sub-Appellation. Chardonnay as well on Blomidon. This means, of course, that the hybrids will be resplendant with fruit, as long as we get half a summer.

I think the rest of the Valley golf courses open this weekend, weather permitting. Spring rain at the moment.

Climate change means we'll be the new Oregon soon. (right latitude, just need the degree days in winter)
You should care about what you drink - you do put it in your mouth, don't you?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:09 am

Otto Nieminen wrote: Granted the tannins do soften a bit - not much, mind you, but the wine as a whole does not. Have you tried an aged Bouscassé like a 1991? They're great now and not soft. You'd like them, I think.

I have found that even modest Madirans like Bromont's Meinjarre benefit from a decade or so - the 1994s are slightly softer now (you are right about the tannins changing very slowly) but you get some much more interesting secondary characteristics - some complexity as a result of aging.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Madiran....

by Saina » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:32 pm

Jeff in Halifax wrote:Just picked up a couple bottles of Montus in Montreal last week. The 2001. Now maybe I will be able to drink it by 2020? :wink:

I've actually just tried the 2001 Montus. I was devastated that it has become slightly spoofulated. It is approachable - nay, even enjoyable if not afraid of massive amounts of extract - now. It will last no problem but if you have a couple try one now. The huge alcohol (14,5% IIRC) did bother me, though.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:33 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:The huge alcohol (14,5% IIRC) did bother me, though.

Huge?
I'll show you huge......

14.5% isn't what I'd consider out of the norm even for Californian reds and regular Southern French fare. Lots of them are hitting 15%+, and I don't just mean wines like Amarone. I've got Zins above 16%.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:00 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:[Huge?
I'll show you huge......

I assume you've seen Otto's post on freshness in wine?
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:32 pm

I have a few bottles of the 2000 Bouscasse VV and I am now tempted to open one when I defrost some leftover pot roast....hopefully, soon.
Nice tasting note, Paul.
Diane