The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Spicy White Chicago

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Spicy White Chicago

by Rahsaan » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:06 pm

Being in Chicago for a few days, I had the pleasure of meeting Mel Hill and the Merry Pair of associates (Scott McDonald and Frank Patterson) that he rustled up to greet me (even though the Associates were unaware of my existence before arrival).

We dined on some very tasty Northern Thai food (http:///www.spoonthai.com) - highly recommended), and a couple of wines to match:

NV Moncuit Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs “Cuvée Pierre Moncuit-Delos”
This is nice, crisp mineral mineral mineral, foamy, flinty, earthy, and gorgeous. The Frank Associate is importing this now, and I say Kudos to Him.

1982 Clos les Hautes Bretonnieres Muscadet
Curious to taste this, but it was funky sour and no fun. A shame.

2000 Prager Weissenkirchen Riesling Smaragd Achleiten
I joke that this shows more chardonnay character than the Moncuit, mainly because it’s so sunny rich and yellowey. I guess it needs more time to develop cut and definition that us mineral folks might like? Or am I just barking up the wrong bottle of wine?

2003 Martin Schaetzel Riesling Grand Cru Schlossberg
This is curious, rich rose lychee nuts with pineapple tropics, almost reminds me of gewürztraminer, but I recheck the label and it indeed says riesling. Needs a bit of air to show its best and balance off what feels like a lot of tactile extract and slightly underdeveloped acid, but nothing vulgar or anything, just reflecting the year. And with air those rose nuts do integrate a bit. But, I probably need to taste this without Searing Hot Thai food in my mouth. I.E. another time. So, give me some r.s….

1991 Bert Simon Serrig Herenberg Spatlese
This is nice, cool fresh white flowers and mint, firm and tangy, showing fresher than the below 83 spatlese, for obvious reasons, but both are nice in their appropriate places.

1983 Freiherr Heyl zu Herrnsheim Niersteiner Kranzberg Spätlese
More faded and delicate and less fresh than above, but that’s fine, it’s a bit older. And it wears itself well, weathered and finer spices and fruits. Jolly good show.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: Spicy White Chicago

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:59 pm

2000 was not a year for a lot of cut and definition in Austrian Riesling by my books. 2002 is better.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: TN: Spicy White Chicago

by Rahsaan » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:01 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2000 was not a year for a lot of cut and definition in Austrian Riesling by my books. 2002 is better.

Thanks, I had a feeling I was expecting the wrong thing from the wine, but not being very familiar with producer/vintage/cuvee I couldn't really judge.