The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN /MoCool: Saturday picnic report (edited, revised, with photos)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN /MoCool: Saturday picnic report (edited, revised, with photos)

by Ian Sutton » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:57 pm

Robin Garr wrote:<B>Allegrini 2001 Palazzo della Torre Veronese</B> - Ruby. Mouth-filling, sweet-tart. Doesn't seem well-balanced, and frankly doesn't seem likely to improve with aging; most tasters read it as an unfortunate shift by Allegrini toward a more "international" style.

After this note I thought it a wise move to open up our sole bottle of this.

Well the news is I think you were too kind.

Our bottle reminded me of a typical sub £5 wine (something like a Rosemount Diamond label) with some sweetness disguising a palate lacking any substance or complexity. Also absent was the sweet/sour/balsamic accent that is so prevalent in Italian wines. There was no redeeming feature we could find unless the object was solely to get drunk (when it would be palateable). Massively disappointing.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:32 pm

I kind of agree, Ian. I had been a big fan of this wine in the 90's. The '00 was a disappointment and I stopped buying then. We did a mini v at MoCOOL a couple of years ago, so this was a little bit of a reprise for those involved in the set up for the picnic. Views differed on which was better, the '97 or the '99, most preferring the '97, but there was no doubt which was the worst. How that wine got into the WS top 100 totally escapes me.
-OW
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:46 pm

OW Holmes wrote: How that wine got into the WS top 100 totally escapes me.

If I was being ungenerous I'd say
Ian Sutton wrote: with some sweetness disguising a palate lacking any substance or complexity.

but this is said in jest!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:21 pm

As a comparison, we had half a bottle of Masi Campofiorin 2002 this evening and it shows how for a similar (perhaps cheaper) price in a bad vintage, you can still get a wine of character and style. Clearly Italian and better with food (pork escalopes with a field and porcini mushroom sauce). Not a great wine - far from it, yet a wine that offered something of interest and place. Much more like it!

Ian
no avatar
User

David Cohen

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:36 pm

Toronto

Nice to see you all

by David Cohen » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:19 am

Thanks to all the organizers. Once again a fantastic get together.
Cheers

David
no avatar
User

James G. Lester

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:37 am

Buchanan, Michigan

Re: Some MoCool picnic wines - raw, unedited notes

by James G. Lester » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:02 am

Geo T.

I finally got on this BB!! Thanks for sharing our Riesling at MoCool. I can't believe we haven't yet made it to this event--we're usually working hard in the vineyard or out selling wine!!

Rae Lee and I would be honored to present our wines to the group, although as you know, there isn't much of it to go around! We are serious about producing world class quality here in Michigan from our own soil. Let us know if this can work this new year, and Happy New Year to you and Kim.

Sincerely,
James G. Lester
Wyncroft, LLC
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

Re: Some MoCool picnic wines - raw, unedited notes

by geo t. » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:59 pm

James G. Lester wrote:Geo T.

I finally got on this BB!! Thanks for sharing our Riesling at MoCool. I can't believe we haven't yet made it to this event--we're usually working hard in the vineyard or out selling wine!!

Rae Lee and I would be honored to present our wines to the group, although as you know, there isn't much of it to go around! We are serious about producing world class quality here in Michigan from our own soil. Let us know if this can work this new year, and Happy New Year to you and Kim.

Sincerely,
James G. Lester
Wyncroft, LLC

Well it's about time, Jim! Your Riesling was well received by everyone I poured it for, as you can probably tell from Robin's impressions.

I have no doubt that the MoCool folks would welcome you and Rae Lee presenting your wines at next summer's event. (Make sure you bring your swim suits!) You already know Joel and Sally; you should contact them in that regard. We think it would be a great idea!

Happy New Year to you and Rae Lee; looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Ciao 4 now,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus
Previous