The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Viu Manent Single Vineyard malbec 2003

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

fjlosada

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:33 pm

New York

WTN: Viu Manent Single Vineyard malbec 2003

by fjlosada » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:56 am

Viu Manent is probably the best malbec producer in Chile. While Argentina has been usually identified with malbec, the best reds from Chile are typically cabernet-based. However, in the past few years some producers have been increasingly experimenting with malbec. Viu Manent is probably at the forefront of that group.
This is their second wine, but by no means a slouch. 85% malbec, 15% cabernet sauvignon with grapes harvested from 40+ year old vines in Colchagua Valley. Amazing color, a vivid, bright purple. Soft aroma of red berries and tobacco. Medium/full body, 14% abv. I got red plums, tobacco leaves, a touch of cedar and pepper. Very moderately tannic, not an ager. Medium finish. Aged for 14 months in French oak. Very well done, classy malbec.
They also make a highly aromatic top of the line malbec called "Viu I". Some time ago I posted a TN on that wine from a tasting done in Chile - I found it to be sensational.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: TN: Viu Manent Single Vineyard malbec 2003

by Sue Courtney » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:50 am

Fernando,
Sounds delicious. I love the intensity of colour that Malbec produces.
Now what food would you match to a wine like this and the more typical Argentine Malbecs?
When tasting four Trapiche Malbecs last night, I made a recipe that was called Argentinian style Gaucho steak with Chimichurri Sauce. It worked with all but the Trapiche Single Vineyard Vina Felipe Villafane 2003, which was far too oaky for this dish.
Would appreciate your suggestions.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

fjlosada

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:33 pm

New York

Re: TN: Viu Manent Single Vineyard malbec 2003

by fjlosada » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:42 am

Anything from the grill. Malbec is my favorite match for grilled steaks and chicken.