The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

It is my imagination, or have Provence wines gotten better

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: It is my imagination, or have Provence wines gotten bett

by Paul B. » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:08 pm

Randy, I think that it must be an incredibly amazing awesomeness that is just on the verge of being discovered. But that's just my 2¢. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:11 pm

Truth be told, all likelihood rests in the possibility that they are making better wines there nowadays. It happened in Ontario with the advent of high-tech winemaking know-how and viticultural practices.

I can't say that I've seen any Provence reds here in Ontario yet. But I will definitely try one the first time I do.

My love of France remains proudly centered in Madiran - I just can't stop enjoying those wonderfully tannic, gruff country wines par excellence.
no avatar
User

G Stewart

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:55 pm

Chinon, Central France

Côtes de Provence

by G Stewart » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:16 pm

Paul B. wrote:Randy, I think that it must be an incredibly amazing awesomeness that is just on the verge of being discovered. But that's just my 2¢. :twisted:

I'm hoping the winemakers of that particular region of France (which I inhabited for 15 years and therefore know reasonably well) are getting their act together.

I think the fact that many locals called the local wine "wine for tourists" pretty much sums it up. It was the kind of wine that could be sold way over its real value and in industrial quantities to, well, tourists. The locals wouldn't touch it as a general rule unless trying to convince outsiders how good it was (not).
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:33 pm

Randy R wrote: have they gotten better, are they being discovered

I don't think they've just been discovered. The south of France is where some of the most exciting and best value wines are being made.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Côtes de Provence

by Rahsaan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:20 pm

Randy R wrote:I don't recall tasting anything drinkable from this region before.

That's quite a strong statement. Isn't Bandol in Provence?

Trevallon is quite huge and quite expensive for some time, Mas de Gourgonnier has been catching press for some time, and quite popular at Fish, Chateau Simone in Palette has been getting prestige for some time, and so many other "smaller" names, but you're closer to the action than we are.. Don't you frequent that Southern Wine shop? La Derniere Goutte also has a few..

FWIW, to my palate Provence is more promising than the Languedoc because the elevation and cooler temperatures ease off the gobbiness that is so dangerous in points South of Montelimar..

Anyway, glad to hear you're enjoying the wines.