The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: There were lines on the mirror, lines on her face

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: There were lines on the mirror, lines on her face

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:21 pm

2018 Desire Lines Carignan Evangelho - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Contra Costa County (9/24/2020)
Just to start out, Evangelho is my personal favorite of the old vines sites in California. There’s something about the wines that come from it that reaches deep into what’s left of my soul. Normally I find a sappy depth to the wines, but this one was different. This one showed a brightness, a lift that made me sit up and take notice rather than just revel in the texture. It still showed all the red fruit character, but it was accented by citrus zest. This made it more animated rather than contemplative. A different side of Evangelho. It was just as interesting, but felt like looking through a different lens. I suspect the dominant Carignan did that, and I liked the result.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: There were lines on the mirror, lines on her face

by SteveEdmunds » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:22 am

David; I worked with Mourvedre from Evangelho back in the mid-late 80s, and I suspect that since Morgan bought the place the farming's probably better. And it wouldn't surprise me to imagine the winemaking here is pretty damn good, too!
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: There were lines on the mirror, lines on her face

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:04 pm

SteveEdmunds wrote:David; I worked with Mourvedre from Evangelho back in the mid-late 80s, and I suspect that since Morgan bought the place the farming's probably better. And it wouldn't surprise me to imagine the winemaking here is pretty damn good, too!

Yes to both - great farming and great winemaking. Morgan talks a bit about the farming on the Bedrock fall release podcast.
Decisions are made by those who show up