Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

The Second Weekend of Passover, 2019

by Pinchas L » Thu May 09, 2019 11:12 pm

The three whites I had over the holiday weekend contrasted significantly. The first was the Hagafen Prix Chardonnay 2016, a wine whose components are top notch: the winter fruit, the oak and the texture, but they require more time to marry into an harmonious unit. The second was the Matar Sauvignon Blanc/Semillion 2017, a lean wine, well focused, showcasing bright and pure fruit, but sans perceptible oak influences. The third is an Italian wine named Eccellenza 2013, that's 70% Verdicchio and 30% Malvasia. It's fruity, musky and tired. My bad for not noticing the vintage. It would only be fair to try a wine such as this in its youth, and only then experiment with the effects age will have on it.
As for the reds, the one that I can still recall is the Famiglia Cotarella Montiano 2014, a wine made of Merlot. It exudes elegance with its concentrated red berries and velvety tannins. The second bottle I had was the Flam Merlot 2011. This merlot, unlike the first, has a tighter grip on the palate, but with fruit that is on the ripe side.

Best Regards,
Pinchas